Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering when is the best time to weld connectors in. Should the engine and trans be in the car with the car sitting on the ground loaded? Right now I am doing the body work and the car is stripped ( no engine, trans, rearend, or K frame) - is it ok to weld them in with the car on jackstands now? Maybe I'm just being too picky, but after reading the amount of flex these unibodies have, I'm wondering if it will make a difference. Anyone have any ideas/advice?

·
Registered
444 Posts
You can do them now, just make sure that you check the door gaps before you weld then in. If you weld them in a bent car, the car will be bent on the ground. Just put a level on the car to make sure its square. Then have at it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I like to weld them in with stands under the frame just in front of the torsion bar cross member and in the back just before the turn ups for the rear-end. Get the car as level as you can then put the floor jack under the front of the car with just enough force to take-out any sag.

G

·
You can weld in frame connectors now either with or without the engine in the car. The key is to make sure the car is level and not twisted or torqued in any direction before you start welding in the connectors. If your car isn't straight when you weld those in, guess what? It will stay crooked when you're finished. Measure twice cut or weld once.

I've found that 2"x3" 1/8" wall tubing works great for frame connectors as once you notch them for the rear frame rails they will fit right over the rear rails for a tight fit for welding up. You can cut some 1/8" plates for the front frame cross member and weld those on before putting the tube in the car. Pull the tubes up front so the plate you welded to the tubes fit tight against the front cross memeber and tack well them. then make sure the notched rear part is up all the way on the rear frame rails and tack them. Don't forget you'll have to notch out the floor pan in the rear seat foot well for about 15" so the tubes can lay flat up in that area along the floor pan.

Lots of welding but once it's done it's a sweet deal and ultra strong.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts