Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How necessary is it to install frame connectors? If I'm not tubbing the car, only running street tires, and don't plan on taking it to the strip, is it still going to twist? On the flip side, are the connectors good enough (ie. has anyone ever twisted a car that had the connectors)? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It all depends. I put connectors on my 70 and the doors started closing a lot better. On the other hand, AbodyJoe on here has a yellow 71 small block car that lifts the driver side tire when he launches and he doesn't have connectors.

·
Registered
144 Posts
They are worth the small investment for the return of better traction and firm feel of vehicle on accelleration.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i don't think they are necessary on just a street car... unless your going for all out handleing... i don't think you'll hook good enough to hurt anything on the street... unless your running a street slick and heat them real good... i'll put them on my dart sooner or later but the doors close the same today as they did 2 years ago so i'm no too concerned about it... plus i don't race it too much...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's a matter of torque you're putting through the drive train. Some cars develope enough torque that they can pull rubber motor mounts apart after a short time. Also if the car is going to launch hard enough to pull the front wheels up. Remember that when you sit the wheels back down if it's very hard you're putting allot of stress on that center section of the car where there is no frame. The high torque B & RB engines can twist the body unless it's strengthened. I've heard stories of cars that didn't have frame connectors and after some time the body was twisted enough that the doors never closed properly and the front suspenstion couldn't be aligned properly either.

I agree with one other writer above, for the cost and time it's a cheap investment in a secure and sound ride.

Dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do it, I have them on all of my cars (A-bodies). They stiffen the frame significantly. When the car was jacked-up previousally the body would twist and the effort to open and close the doors would increase. Now with the Mopar frame connectors welded in the car will lift both wheels on the same side of the car and the doors open and close normally. At about $100 the connectors are a bargain improvement.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Cudadust said:
Do it, I have them on all of my cars (A-bodies). They stiffen the frame significantly. When the car was jacked-up previousally the body would twist and the effort to open and close the doors would increase. Now with the Mopar frame connectors welded in the car will lift both wheels on the same side of the car and the doors open and close normally. At about $100 the connectors are a bargain improvement.
[]{}What he said. I noticed the same thing jacking the Dart up. Very rigid and cheap.

Tom

·
Registered
353 Posts
I did it to mine. I had a 70 Swinger with a 383 many years ago. Even though there was no traction I still got those crease lines along the roof after awhile.

Do it. Its a good cheap investment.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
11.81, yanks the driver tire up and i dont have them. ive had my dart ofr 8 years and notice no difference in anything. of coarse, i have stick of square tubing in the garage, one day i'll add them. i think at the point you will need them for drag racing, you will need a roll bar, which will do so much more than just the connectors. i was poking around on my friends nova the other day, and i think its a miracle those cars dont fold in half more often. what do they have, 4 bolts holding them together? at least our cars are all welded, i think that helps a bunch. if its a sedan it should be even stronger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any 30 year old unibody needs them. If not you will tear up a nice car fast. You cann't fix them as easy as it is to prevent them from bow tie'ing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
any1 try out them new sub frame connectors from that body and tool palce where you don't have to cut into the body?

also would you guys recomend getting the frame put ona frame jig and amde sure it was stright up in teh front before you put them sub frame connectors on?

I want to get the sub frame connectors and have my pop weld them in for me but would it be worth it? to wait and get the car on a frame jig

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You don't need a jig. Your car has the benefit of being is a driver. Have the car rest on its front suspension (tires). Lift the rear of the car enough to get underneath. Place jackstands under the rear end so the rear is on its suspension. Make sure the body gaps look OK and the doors shut smoothly. Start welding.

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
I and a welder friend just put some 2x2 frame connectors on my 74 Duster.  We did not cut into the floor pans; just pushed them up tight to floor.  At the rear subframe the 2x2 lapped over top by 1/2" that we tapered off.  Looked good, but haven't got drivetrain into it yet. We added gusset from subframe but wouldn't have to do it. I have done a lot of body work so don't want to take chance of wrinkling any body panels. Good luck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.