Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I have a 69 dart with a stroke 440 with a 871 Wieland blower on it. I just bought this car and it is back halved with 33-19.5-15 tires on the rear. The front is to low for my liking, the oil pan is 3.5 inches off the ground. I would like to raise the front at least 2 to 2.5 inches. I do not know what size torsion bars that are in it right now. Nor do I know how to tell. Could someone recommend me a torsion bar size to do what I am looking for? I am going to race this once in a while but also drive it on the street. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi,
Why don't you give Firm Feel a call. They manufacture Mopar torsion bars in house. The more weight you have in the front end, the larger diameter bars you'll need. It looks like they have 5 different sizes. I bought their bars about 12 years ago and they're working great. I think mine are the 1.00'' diameter. With an 871 blower you might need to go bigger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally my 69 Cuda formula S was a 340 automatic, power steering, A/C car. The stock bars were .875" and after the point of contact with the torsion arm took most of the threads on the adjusters to establish ride height. When I installed the 470B automatic power steering, A/C (aluminum water pump A/C Compressor, heads and intake) I increased the bars to 1.03", now it only takes two or three turns of the adjuster after point of contact to establish level rocker panel ride height. I can easily adjust it up stupid high like a gasser with these 1.03" bars. The stock body and K member are reinforced (heavy), has steel bumpers, factory brass radiator, stock battery location, full interior and an overweight driver and companion;) Ride is solid but not harsh and road handling is much improved. Note that as the bars get larger in diameter the spring rate per 1/8 inch change in diameter rises dramatically.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Good morning, I have a 69 dart with a stroke 440 with a 871 Wieland blower on it. I just bought this car and it is back halved with 33-19.5-15 tires on the rear. The front is to low for my liking, the oil pan is 3.5 inches off the ground. I would like to raise the front at least 2 to 2.5 inches. I do not know what size torsion bars that are in it right now. Nor do I know how to tell. Could someone recommend me a torsion bar size to do what I am looking for? I am going to race this once in a while but also drive it on the street. Thank you in advance.
on a street car i like at minimum 1" bars. but that may hurt your weight transfer at the track.. i guess its all about what compromise you want to make..

couple of choices...

their 1.08 bars MOPAR “A” Body Torsion Bar Set, 1961-1976 – Sway-A-Way | Racing Technology

1 - 4 of 4 Posts