Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to mount a skid plate on the underside of my K frame while I am making a DC piece. It is 3.125" tall and will clear a deep pan that I have by 3/4". I know its extra weight but oh well. I won't eat triple whoppers for a while.

I still have all those ugly factory welds to remove and cover. I will post a pic of the finished product. Any of you guys do this for fear of a hard landing after pulling the wheels?

Tom

·
Registered
267 Posts
that looks nice - love your welds. is that 1/4 plate or 3/16? it looks like it should take a beating. I cant wait to see your finished dart.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
do I fear it? oh yeah.
is it likely in my overweight sled? heh...no, not really. )(/*

looks great. should be able to drop that front from a roof and survive ;D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Amazing work as usual man! -0*(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thats pretty wild looking. How far off the ground do you plan that will be?
Man I wish i could weld like that.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Michael, Jack and Evan and Mr Scamp. It is 5/32". If I can't pull the wheels hard I can use it to scrape over speed bumps.

Bottom of the plate should be no less than 4" off the deck.

I haven't been able to do much of anything on the Dart this summer. The weather has turned and it is time to make some sparks.

I have been trying to get around to an 8 pt bar and have been too busy. Look for Tig pics on that.

Tom  o----o<>

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi Tom, new to this but do you have to tig bars or could they be miged in ???
Thanks..Don tnku )(/*

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to be welder but new to cutting up cars. The Road Runner is a virgin to the welder.  ;D Mig is to be used on steel bars. I want to Tig a chrome moly bar in my car. No reason in particular other than I am itching to lay down some tig on the Dart. Most bar / cage suppliers carry both.

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Really nice work Tom........Love the RR,and the color of the dart is badass.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
xxxhemi said:
Really nice work Tom........Love the RR,and the color of the dart is badass.
hah im not the only one that likes the color! looks good, but i personally think it might be a ground scraper. i like my cars somewhat low though. my 69 i have to give it a slight bounce to fit a big jack under it. not sure how tall one of those jacks are but id say my k frame is probably only 5" off the ground. my 67 is just a hair higher, but also has taller tires.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice work Tom! I have to do something with mine this winter. I put 400 miles on the Dart this summer and my pan has 1 scrape plus my B&M tranny pan is missing a couple of fins! It is scary.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1DART440 said:
Nice work Tom! I have to do something with mine this winter. I put 400 miles on the Dart this summer and my pan has 1 scrape plus my B&M tranny pan is missing a couple of fins! It is scary.
Thanks 1Dart and XXX. That's what I'm talking about. I lost an oil pan on a GM A body and it wasn't any fun.

Jamesdart; Thanks again for talking me into keeping the green (actually medium turquoise). It has grown on me.  -0*(  My front tires are 25 1/2" tall. The roll bar is next.

Tom

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks great man as usual. I have an 8 qt moroso on the duster( well when it was on the road lol) and was always going to make a skid plate but never got arount to it. My buddys Vega (355, 8-71, Birdcatcher ,made 1071 hp on alcohol) would scrape the pan alot. Funny part was the lowest part of the oilpan was the drain plug so every time it would scrape the plug would back out haha.

G

·
b569rr said:
I used to be welder but new to cutting up cars. The Road Runner is a virgin to the welder.  ;D Mig is to be used on steel bars. I want to Tig a chrome moly bar in my car. No reason in particular other than I am itching to lay down some tig on the Dart. Most bar / cage suppliers carry both.

Tom
Make sure you get some tig on that car because you can tell your Grandson (see this is how to do it) and he will try about 16 or 20 years and get it or get it right out the box :-* I tested a 22 year old that boy was dam good I asked him,"where did you learn that" he said,his Grandpaw show him how to walk the cup ::) Max43

·
Registered
779 Posts
Boy, I have to cut my shock towers and do some welding to stuff a 528 in my 69 Dart. Too bad Tom isn't in Colorado or he could do mine. []{}
Too bad he has funny looking dogs.....he must spend all his money on cars...........his dogs look like there starving to death ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MVRCorp said:
Boy, I have to cut my shock towers and do some welding to stuff a 528 in my 69 Dart. Too bad Tom isn't in Colorado or he could do mine. []{}
Too bad he has funny looking dogs.....he must spend all his money on cars...........his dogs look like there starving to death ;D
I don't car who you are now that's funny right there. lol lol

You think they are skinny you should see my 3 cats. I will be doing the same with my towers. I'll post pics when I get around to it.

That's cool about the kid Max. We just had 8 more 3rd year fitters pass their UA-1 and 1 pass their supercoupon. 2 got looked out. We are up to 90 first year apprentices all trades. The boom is crazy

Tom

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.