Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im building one of my cars for the street and i want it to handle really good ..i have tube A arms and ciol over converson . i still have to get the sway bars .. i was wondering what other gains or changes i can do for the front suspension  to make it handle better ...
what gains do solid struts do for the street ?
any sugestions ?

·
Registered
704 Posts
my car-
72 duster, /6

front-
Yokohama avid s/t 235/60/15 fronts
.990 bars
poly bushings
11.75 brakes

back (soon to be)-
yoko avid s/t 295/50r15
11x2.5 drums
ss springs
panhard bar?

also adding sway bars front and back, my car should be able to at least pull 1.0 in the skid pad- it does at least .86 now

don't bother with those struts, torsion bars can be made to handle really well, use .990 or bigger bars like i have, with me (180 lbs) putting my full weight bouncing on my fender it only moves about 3/4 of an inch up and down without a sway bar,
but the best thing to do for handling is run the biggest tire you can with the biggest rim (low profile), it makes all of the difference

·
Registered
994 Posts
moparrr07 said:
my car-
72 duster, /6

front-
.990 bars
poly bushings
11.75 brakes

back (soon to be)-
yoko avid s/t 295/50r15
11x2.5 drums
ss springs
panhard bar?

also adding sway bars front and back, my car should be able to at least pull 1.0 in the skid pad- it does at least .86 now

don't bother with those struts, torsion bars can be made to handle really well,  use .990 or bigger bars like i have, with me (180 lbs) putting my full weight bouncing on my fender it only moves about 3/4 of an inch up and down without a sway bar,
but the best thing to do for handling is run the biggest tire you can with the biggest rim (low profile), it makes all of the difference
[]{}  for handling...my strut's are for big hp..straight line acceleration[7 second zone]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the Tubular Strut Rod Kit#16136 probly wouldnt help me much ..?
i should just replace the bushings ?
the car is gonna get some tall and wide rims with low pro tires ..
do the brands of sway bars differ in quality ?

·
Registered
704 Posts
yes, from what i hear, there is a huge difference, stay away from addco, i think allot of people use just suspention

·
Registered
271 Posts
moparrr07 said:
my car-
72 duster, /6

front-
.990 bars
poly bushings
11.75 brakes

back (soon to be)-
yoko avid s/t 295/50r15
11x2.5 drums
ss springs
panhard bar?

don't bother with those struts, torsion bars can be made to handle really well,  use .990 or bigger bars like i have, with me (180 lbs) putting my full weight bouncing on my fender it only moves about 3/4 of an inch up and down without a sway bar,
.86G is a long way from 1.0G.

·
Registered
704 Posts
yea, now it has NO sway bars and 195 rear tires, the back end comes out before the front even begin to squeal

·
Registered
994 Posts
wickedfirefighter said:
im building one of my cars for the street and i want it to handle really good ..i have tube A arms and ciol over converson . i still have to get the sway bars .. i was wondering what other gains or changes i can do for the front suspension  to make it handle better ...
any sugestions ?
well for handling....lower is better...lower's the point of gravity[makes it more stable]....some nitto extreme555's on 18's also.....but these also change the look of the car....

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been exploring the same situation, as I rebuilt the front end, but haven't swapped torsion bars yet nor added sway bars. Is there a tried and true? I've heard more bad things than good about addco. What about PST?

·
Registered
704 Posts
fasttcars said:
wickedfirefighter said:
im building one of my cars for the street and i want it to handle really good ..i have tube A arms and ciol over converson . i still have to get the sway bars .. i was wondering what other gains or changes i can do for the front suspension to make it handle better ...
any sugestions ?
well for handling....lower is better...lower's the point of gravity[makes it more stable]....some nitto extreme555's on 18's also.....but these also change the look of the car....
yes forgot to mention shocks, im still running stocker but im cheap

urchinhead said:
I've been exploring the same situation, as I rebuilt the front end, but haven't swapped torsion bars yet nor added sway bars. Is there a tried and true? I've heard more bad things than good about addco. What about PST?
yes, stiffer torsion bars make all of the difference, you will be able to tell how much bigger from the second you pull them from the box, allot more hefty

lastly get yourself a good alignment, i would recommend either offset bushings or adjustable strut rods to allow yourself to get extra camber out of it,

the guy at the alignment shop will recommend about 1 to 1.5 degrees of pos camber, but have him dial 3 or so in, it gives you better feel around corners and it will center back quicker

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i sent payment out for 2" drop sindles for the front .. so my bigger diameter rims wont have such a big gap bettween it and my wheel wall and it will bring the car down overall ..
now can a person go to big of a diameter on the sway bar front and rear ?
anyone got any suggestion on rear sespension ?
i have those mopar after market springs for 2800 lbs car , air shocks and a adjustible pinion snubber ... the axles are moser with the sealed bearing ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts