Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15gallon Al. fuel cell that I want to install in the Scamp. I would like to set it in the spare tire well, however it doesn't quite fit(square peg, round hole). I was thinking of cutting out the interfering edges and just welding in square edges. I'm not sure if this is NHRA legal though. If I did that, could I just make straps to go over it and call it a day?

Anybody do anything like this? Whats the best way to go about it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ran into the same problem, so I went with a plastic cell with the straps to fit in the well. Then I started looking at it and decided to just cut the well out and mount it flat. If you really want it in the well, I don't see anything wrong with putting square corners on it, I think the rule book requires it to be sealed off everywhere but where the line attaches or something like that I can check my book if you really want.

Drew

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since its going to be a street car, I really don't want to lose the trunk space. I thought about cutting out the trunk floor, I just feel guilty doing it since there isn't a spec of rust on it.
If you have time to look at the book I would appreciate it. I'd hate to start cutting and find out I did it wrong.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Don't feel bad. My Dart is 99% rust free and I cut out the trunk. I had it done in a weekend. I don't have the cell yet. Piece of cake.

Tom

·
Registered
523 Posts
The fuel cell must be enclosed if it protrudes outside of the body line or the trunk floor. This is mine but it is only a 12 gallon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I got my Dart there was a big square hole in the bottom of the spare tire well. Someone had dropped a well cut from another car into the well. My buddy took both pieces and stretched my spare tire well to fit a 15 gallon cell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The man that I bought my 73 Dart Sport from was going to make a bracket racer out of it. He had the trunk already set-up for a fuel cell so I bought it from him. Since I am making a street car I made a box to enclose the cell. With no room left for a regular spare I am using a space saver spare from a 96 Jeep Cherokee.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I went ahead and cut the corners out of the spare tire well over the weekend. I had to cut out more than I initially thought I would. After I got it all set in there I decided I didnt like the way it looked (of course).
I think I am going to build a new trunk floor with a fuel cell in-set. The fuel cell is 10 1/4" tall, but I also have to stuff an A-1000 pump under the cell somewhere so I will only sink it down 7-8". This is what I initially was going to do, but I didn't want to do the work. It took ruining a perfect trunk floor to finally decide. doh

G

·
If your car is going to be a street car and maybe on the strip occasionally why not put a new stock tank in the car. A fuel cell isn't required unless you're in specific brackets. The stock tank can be purchased fairly cheaply and less trouble to put in. I was going to use a fuel cell until I realized that the bracket I'm going to run in doesn't require it. I think you can run 10.9 second brackets without a fuel cell and that's a fast bracket for a street strip car.

Dan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought about sumping the factory tank. I wanted alittle bigger capacity and also I was told to run 10an line feed and return. On top of that I would still like to run exhaust out the back. With the braced rear-end and springs moved in, I am going to have my work cut-out for me already.

·
Registered
945 Posts

I got my tank today. It is a 20 gallon with sender. I like the way it looks but will look better when polished.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.