Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dart is coming together finally. I ordered a new gas tank and I painted it this busy weekend. What size should I use for the fuel line? It's a built 440, cam headwork, intake, 750cfm carb etc. etc. etc. I bought the 1/2" fuel line sending unit. Do you think 1/2" is too big? Should I have stayed with 3/8" line? I can always send it back and get the 3/8" sending unit. I also want to get the pre-bent stainless steel fuel line and the biggest they have at gastanks.com is 3/8. Is there a place out there that sells pre-bent fuel lines for a 69 Dart in 1/2"?

What's your opinions?

Thanks again,
Tim

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I ran 1/2" on my big block cars and NEVER had a fuel starvation issue. I like it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 1/2 inch is nice and there for any future upgrades, Id keep it. However I dont know that You'll ever find pre-bent lines in 1/2 inch. If You do let Us know. Nothing wrong with aftermarket lines though unless Your after a factory look.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking on the web. The biggest pre-bent stainless steel I've found so far is 3/8". If I have to I'll use a roll of 1/2" and bend it myself. I'd better take my vitamins. I've bent SS before and I know it's pretty tough.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Look for a local vendor that sells stainless tube. We have a large vendor in Seattle called Alaska Copper that sells commercial and to the public. You should be able to find a place in your area that sells straight lengths of 10 and 20 foot sticks.

Are there any Steamfitters, pipefitters or commercial plumbers in Vader's area that can help?

Tom

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea Tom. I'll have to check out a few local plumbing supply stores.

By the way Tom. That Dart is sharp looking. I like the turquios with the dog dishes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought a bender like this one and it bends thin wall stainless without much effort. I have used mine for tube wall thickness up to .065” with good success. The .065 is tough to bend but if you spray the slider shoe of the bender with silicone lubricant it really helps things along.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDGID-1-2-OD-T...QQihZ012QQcategoryZ104220QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
On average I see these sell on Ebay for about thirty dollars plus shipping.
Good luck,
Pat

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
quote author=b569rr link=topic=13650.msg116051#msg116051 date=1167221425]
Look for a local vendor that sells stainless tube. We have a large vendor in Seattle called Alaska Copper that sells commercial and to the public. You should be able to find a place in your area that sells straight lengths of 10 and 20 foot sticks.

Are there any Steamfitters, pipefitters or commercial plumbers in Vader's area that can help?

Tom
is it expensive?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have good heavy duty tubing benders but that idea of spraying the lubricant on it sounds pretty good. I will try it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
jamesdart said:
quote author=b569rr link=topic=13650.msg116051#msg116051 date=1167221425]

Tom
is it expensive?
It really isn't and it looks very nice. I did my fuel line on the RR in stainless including the dual feed on the carb. All my brtake lines are stainless also. Looks really sharp against the painted undercarriage and engine bay. A regular plumbing supply won't have it. They won't even usually have hard drawn copper tube, just the coil stuff. You will need a specialty tubing supply. Alaska Copper in Seattle sells all sizes and schedules on stainless, copper, aluminum, moly, brass.

Tom

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to look in our catalogs here at work. We deal with a lot of suppliers like McMaster Carr and the likes. I'll have to see what they offer. I can get it shiped right here to my office.

·
Registered
37 Posts
  If I had to guess, I would go to the local Parker Hannifin store or Graingers and try to make a friend. The Parker store near me sells Earls fittings, all types of braided hose, and everything thats anything for fluid transfer. Im not saying that I have seen it there but the counter guy should be able to get or locate the product for you with ease. I work at the Dodge Truck paint shop and I know we have 3/8 or 5/16" x 20' sticks by the hundreds. The whole spray booth is made with these snaked everywhere to carry paint to the robots and to the people with spray guns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took my old fuel line (6 cyl car) to a big truck shop. They made up a 1/2" SS line with all SS fittings for $50 and a large pizza. Tractor or heavy equipment shop can do the same job. M

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I picked up my stainless tube for my brakes at the above mentioned place in Seattle.

I was talking to a friend who said he picked his line up from Art Morrison, a custom chassis / suspension hot rod shop 2 miles from me. Check the local rod shops.

Tom

·
Registered
392 Posts
DART VADER said:
I also want to get the pre-bent stainless steel fuel line and the biggest they have at gastanks.com is 3/8. Is there a place out there that sells pre-bent fuel lines for a 69 Dart in 1/2"?

What's your opinions?

Thanks again,
Tim
Is Fine Lines still in business? I checked with them several years back, they said they could duplicate their fuel line in 1/2".

I sent them an original MC brake line set from a power brake roadrunner that no one re-popped at the time, they did nice custom work, and didn't charge me extra.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Something wrong with aluminum? I used it and was able to form it exactly where the factory line was , by hand. The aluminum if installed outta the way of everything will last as long as anything else and it's even "lighter"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts