Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it doh I bought this combination through summit racing, because my car still has the back fire through the exhaust when letting off the gas to coast, but the big reason I purchased it is because I had to take it down to emmisions last saturday and it failed o[, on the hydro-carbons idle test. So they tell me it could be a none firing cylinder. I have universal wires on it right now, the ones you need to cut to length then install the connector end on it. I decided to look into the MSD ignition module because of the multiple spark per cylinder, I figure this should take care of any unspent fuel that is getting past the valves and into the exhaust manifolds, and I hope it gives me a little more power boom[]. I decided to buy it and a set of pre-maid to fit chrysler big-block ignition wires, and they had a promotion going on to get a blaster 2 coil for free so that sealed the deal.
I also purchased a new sealed bolt down battery box and a battery safety shut-off switch, I was reading in the Phoenix Firebird racing rules that no matter if you're car is a street car or strip car, if you have a relocated battery in the trunk you have to have a safety shut of switch that is accessible from the outside, in the rear area of your car so that a track official can shut it off in the instance of a wreck. So I will be installing these 2 items, and I will be buying me a snell 2005 rated helmet, so I can take the Vert down to the track and get me a few runs to see how fast it is.
I wil be installing the MSD stuff on Saturday the 9th. Wish me luck santa4

·
Registered
400 Posts
santa3 GOOD Luck!! Let us know if it helps pass Emissions or Not!!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
did you get the stuff already? let me know if you have any wires with oddball boots for the distributor end. i got 2 msd super conductor pre fit kits and they both were like this. all had grey 90 degree boots but 2. they had strait old school looking orange boots. i contacted them and they told me that is the way the kit is designed. i bitched enough and they sent me 2 new wires.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jamesdart said:
did you get the stuff already? let me know if you have any wires with oddball boots for the distributor end. i got 2 msd super conductor pre fit kits and they both were like this. all had grey 90 degree boots but 2. they had strait old school looking orange boots. i contacted them and they told me that is the way the kit is designed. i bitched enough and they sent me 2 new wires.
Jamesdart,
I already received the parts and started installing them this morning, I wondered the same thing, why the 2 ordinary orange straight boots were on the spark plug wires, I did not think much of it, I spent about 1 1/2 hours installing the passenger side wires and coil wire because I have some XXL hands and they are hard to get into the tight space between the inner fender and exhaust manifold, then proceeded to do the drivers side by removing one of the old and replacing it with the approximate same size new wire, when I came across the longest wire spark plug boot being cut, and the next longest wire not having a connector end on it. o[ So I called them a few minutes ago and they said that they would send out another set that is suppossed to be brand new and I can pick and choose what wire I want from the new set and then return the others, but they don't ship on Sat. & Sun. so he will ship them on Mon. and I should get them on Tues. I explained to the guy that the coil wire had 2-90* ends on it when it should of had the straight through boots not the 90* ones, or at least it should have a straight boot on the coil side and a 90* on the cap side. So I will pick out the wires I want which will not include the flimsy little orange straight boot ones. santa4

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the MSD universal wires  at Autozone today and they don't have the orange stock flimsy boots, go figure.  bbat

·
Registered
759 Posts
I got my MSD set-up piecemeal...First I got the Pro Bikllet distributor form the guy who built my engine, then I got a MOPAR (MSD6AL) box through E-Bay, the Blaster-2 coil and MSD wires (universdal fit) came from a local Speed Shop...The wires have the Gray boots all around. All spark plug boot ends have the same shallow angle to them, about 20 degrees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts