Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, what do y'all think of my sweet custom suspension setup here? doh LOL

Anyone have any insights on what the hell the guy who did this was thinking? I'm sure he was just trying to create clearance for taller tires, but... damn! )(/* )(/*

The springs are definitely stockers, and worn out stockers to boot. The previous owner had just replaced all the shocks with air shocks, but he didnt remember which ones he used. o[ He also doesnt know exactly how or when this stuff was done... he had bought it in the mid-90s with the springs already like that.

Will this funky long-shackle setup make it harder for me to put new springs in later down the road? And do you have any recommendations on what I can do to retain this kind of ride height in the rear without the back end feeling as "ghosty" and disconnected as it does now? These long shackles are hardly what I consider safe or a proper solution to tire fitment issues, so I'm obviously ditching them. I'll probably do this around the same time I convert the front to discs. Any recommendations on a combo to use for the rear? It's going to be a big block car, and I'd prefer not to do everything twice, so should I go with SS springs and an inboard relocation? If so, what shocks should I use? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Insert jokes about how ghetto my car is here: _______________ lol tnku

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Dear Mr. Dirt: LOL

Don't be so hard on your car. At least you have the foundation to start on. None of us can tell you what to do to your car. What do YOU want?

As for me, I like the ss springs, relocated springs and wheels wells with the M/T 28" x 13.5's on steel in the back with steelies. For rear shocks Rancho 9 way adjustable . I almost forgot, my Dart doesn't run yet. It just looks cool sitting there. ;D

You have a great car. Hey, when I was 18, I had a '69 Olds 442 with 120 psi in my Gabriel hijackers.

Keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
847 Posts
confession.....my amx still has air shocks.....new rear suspension is on the list, but its been on the list for quite a while

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I have every bit of faith in her. No harm in joking around about it though, makes me feel better when I'm standing there staring at my rust and mile-long springs. lol Really, I was just looking for recommendations on a good street/strip combination to use for the rear. I've heard a LOT of people talking up CalTracs suspensions lately... are they really that much better than SS springs and a good set of shocks?

·
Registered
847 Posts
at least it doesnt look like this doh

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well, at least you don't have the shock extensions, too!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eldubb440 said:
at least it doesnt look like this doh
lol Yeah, thats true! But seriously, everyone that sees my car in person laughs at it, so I laugh along with them. When it's done, they'll all be terrified, but I'll still be laughing!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cu440da said:
Well, at least you don't have the shock extensions, too!!
I know! For this I'm truly grateful. So anyone else have favorites/recommendations? And what about those CalTracs?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How would I go about maintaining that kind of ride height without extended shackles or blocks? If I ditched the shackles that are on it and went with SS or factory stock springs, wouldnt it drop the rear quite a bit?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The ss springs will give you a couple inches higher over stock height. My pic below is w/  002 / 003 ss springs. I have no engine in it so the car is level. When the engine goes in it will get a little rake.

Those are 28" tall tires. You don't want too much rake. It will affect handling and is hard on front wheel bearings.

Tom

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you are on the strip more than the street I'd say CalTracs. If you are on a budget like me, then SS springs, a snubber and long shocks can still get it done. I have front spring hangers that move the spring eye up about 1-1/2 inch to lower the rear with the Super Stocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts