Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my daughter wants me to take up the carpet in her bedroom, and put down wood to match some of the rest of her house. has anyone had experience with laminate,or engineered flooring? what she has is 3/8th thick. and it looks to be glued down. any help here? thanks
________
Harley-Davidson Xl1200

·
Registered
350 Posts
I did my entire house with laminate.....it was easy. Remove all base board moldings so you can the flooring cloaser to the walls. Saves having to hide mistakes with a 1/4 round when you are done.
tnku

·
Registered
393 Posts
I did my entire house with laminate.....it was easy. Remove all base board moldings so you can the flooring cloaser to the walls. Saves having to hide mistakes with a 1/4 round when you are done.
tnku
I did most of the house we are in now in laminate. Easy to me. Time consuming but worth it. 440Ken has the right answer. Don't forget the underlament. It's pretty durable, but I have got a couple of wear spots from furniture foot pegs that came off. I would have done the new house,but the wife wanted the home builders to do it. $$$$$$ They used the glue down stuff and 1/4 round. Oh, you don't want to get the cheapest crap you can find either. splurge a little. Good luck.
David

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes the underlayment is very important and care when locking pieces together. When it comes to cutting remember, "Measure twice- cut once". Transitioning from room to room or into a closest can be very tricky.....plan ahead. Get some sort of cushion to kneel on......that laminate or concrete can really be bad on the knees. Plan a happy hour at the end of each day....gives you drive to keep goinglollollol

·
Registered
374 Posts
almost all laminate flooring is desingned to be floating. you will need to pick up a small bag of 1/4in spacers from any flooring place. pull up the baseboard and put the spacers between the laminate and the walls. you need the 1/4 in gap all the way around all the walls to allow for shrinking and swelling. if you butt all way up to walls you will most times get big bulges in the floors later on. its super easy just takes alot of time. also its good idea to pick up one of those nylon blocks that are used to put along the edge of the boards and allow you to smack em with a dead blow hammer. also dont forget to stager your seams. alot of people follow the manufactures directions but i just use the scab from the last row i did to start the next row. that way your using all of your scrap.

·
Registered
393 Posts
almost all laminate flooring is desingned to be floating. you will need to pick up a small bag of 1/4in spacers from any flooring place. pull up the baseboard and put the spacers between the laminate and the walls. you need the 1/4 in gap all the way around all the walls to allow for shrinking and swelling. if you butt all way up to walls you will most times get big bulges in the floors later on. its super easy just takes alot of time. also its good idea to pick up one of those nylon blocks that are used to put along the edge of the boards and allow you to smack em with a dead blow hammer. also dont forget to stager your seams. alot of people follow the manufactures directions but i just use the scab from the last row i did to start the next row. that way your using all of your scrap.
I took out those small blocks under the dry wall also and measured it right to the drywall. I too used the old boards on the next row. you use far less material. Good luck. Don't forget to show us how it turned out.
David

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well it's monday. well we decided to do my grandaughter's room first.. friday night, got it painted. flooring down sat. it went great. sunday cut the molding,painted and installed. put back the furnture. now i can't hardly move... it looks great..now she want's two more room's done..pic's later
________
Rc111

·
Registered
345 Posts
Excellent advice here. Some of the laminate floor makers will include those nylon blocks. They are a must have.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Don't forget when you stagger the seams and you're starting a new row, cut a random amount off the first board of the new row and drop it at the back end. I promise, you'll save a box of material by the time you finish.
I got real good at this because I had to do the same room twice. Did it once with 20 boxes... My stepson flooded the room and destroyed the floor... I did it again with 18 boxes learning from all the mistakes I made the first time.
I also did the closets. It's tricky, but I was able to sneak it under the door jambs. You'd almost never know it was a floating floor when I finished trimmin' it up.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i used all of the cut ends for the a starter on other rows. the longest scrap i had left was only 6-8" long,and only a few of these. the closet doors was easy to work around. just a little thinking. only messed up 1 board. i think that was good for the first time..
________
Marijuana Hemp

·
Registered
2 Posts
tnku
We used laminate for the majority of the current home. Simple to me. Putting in the effort is worthwhile. has the proper response. Remember to use acid staining minneapolis It's rather robust, although I do have a few worn points were furnishings leg hooks have come loose. The wife wanted the home builders to handle the new building, which I would have handled instead. They employed and round adhesive material. Oh, and you also don't want to buy the shoddy goods that are the lowest. Spend a bit extra. Best luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
We used laminate for the majority of the current home. Simple to me. Putting in the effort is worthwhile. has the proper response. Remember to use acid staining minneapolis It's rather robust, although I do have a few worn points were furnishings leg hooks have come loose. The wife wanted the home builders to handle the new building, which I would have handled instead. They employed and round adhesive material. Oh, and you also don't want to buy the shoddy goods that are the lowest. Spend a bit extra. Best luck.
you do understand that you are replying to a 12 year old post, yes?

-mod

1 - 19 of 19 Posts