Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up my '65 hardtop for a fun driver/multipurpose racer (probably mostly drag for now), and was wondering what kind of heaers you can use with the AlterKtion on these? if the savings on headers is huge and allows me to use 1-3/4" headers then it might be worth it for me to get one of these kits.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you save a few hundred bucks on headers by buying something less spendy than the T.T.I.s or Doug's (if they are available) will that balance out to the cost of an AlterKtion setup??? I'm not sure I follow the math there, since the AlterKtion lists for nigh unto three grand. If I was going to spend the money for an AlterKtion, I don't think the price of a set of headers would change my plans.

I'm probably completely misunderstanding something here. brrrrrt

BC

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't see a problem with the math.....as long as the wife falls for it.
I do know that the AlterKtion is a great kit & from what I've read in here it would allow for a greater selection for headers. I think I read that with the AlterKtion kit on an early A body you can use the 67 & newer headers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
65prostreet said:
I don't see a problem with the math.....as long as the wife falls for it. ....
That'sl the part I was misunderstanding! I'm a bachelor for a reason!!!

BC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, headers are only one part of the equation... that's why the math doesn't seem to add up right away... To get my stock setup up to spec for safety inspection here, I'll need all new bushings and tie rods and ball joints, and new rotors and calipers and pads, not to mention that I would like a faster steering box than the stock manual that's in there now... adding all that up PLUS a set of headers, and perhaps new torsion bars, then the price of keping my stock suspension gets up there quick. Saving a couple hundred dollars on headers would be nice, which is why I'm wondering what headers do fit once the steering box is out of the way (not to mention that the current TTI and Doug's header tubes are a little bit small for the 360 stroker I am planning). Bt either way, the stock one is probably still cheaper... but any upgrade usually costs more than stock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
All the other parts added in certainly does narrow the financial gap. And then there is the simple factor that I WANT IT!!!

(or, in this case, that you want it!!! 0/

BC

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi, I ordered my alterk the end of Nov. this is for my 65 cuda. I'm putting a mopar 402ci stroker in.So I think that making the front end safe and up to date ( new bushings,ball joints and all the other stuff) plus new brakes and all will make my cuda a much safer car. So with the alterk I will have that and more. santa3 santa4

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have my alterk , test fit the frame..nice. Will be room for my headers now. :) o----o<>

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lookin' good, Don! I'd like to see the AlterK installation from some different angles - underneath, for example. I'm guessing that the major increase in header space available is from losing the steering gear for the rack and pinion in the AlterK. Not needing the upper A arm pivot points would let ya open up the inner finders and make room for a HEMI, but you couldn't put the stock stuff back together if that became a priority. Llooks like BIG fun!

BC

·
Registered
39 Posts
  []{} Do keep us posted!! How long did it take to get it after the order?

·
Registered
681 Posts
This was a test fit and I drilled the holes that had to be drilled. I will put it on when I've finished the body work and paint the car. That should be this summer. As for order time..order Nov.30,2006..and even with the holidays I had it Jan.17,2007. :) Real happy with AlterK. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info Don! Looking forward to see your progress. Im also going to go with the Alterkation but after seeing all the cool small block cars here, Im rethinking this big block notion. I've never had a small block, but it would be easier in my 66. Hell, 402, now 440 small block!! why not!! keep the pics comin! ............Dennis *POP*

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, now I'm starting to wonder...with small block engines growing to over 400 cubes, do we need someone to figure out how to build another round of headers with still larger pipes or just give up and chop up our fenderwells like the matchracers used to do? Although, come to think of it that WOULD make a bitchin' street ride, wouldn't it???

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts