Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o----o<> Ok this one is prolly a goofy question. My headlights on my 75 Dart Custom stopped working about a week ago, and there is no fuse for the headlightrs. I read my manual and is said that there is a circut breaker for the headlights, but it doesn't tell where it is located. my question is..Where is the circut breaker? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
847 Posts
[]{} ive had headlght switches go bad on more than one occasion, could also be the hi-beam switch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't forget there is a slim chance that both lights may be bad,get a voltmeter and start at the switch.let us know if you get it

·
Registered
417 Posts
Like eldubb440 said.
Get a test light and check at the high beam switch. When you put on the headlights you must get power at the high beam switch, if not check your wiring and headlight switch, then you know that the problem is in that area.
If you have power at the high beam switch, then bypass the switch and see if the lights come on, if so your high beam switch is bad.
If the lights don't come on when bypassing the switch, check your wiring from the high beam switch to your headlights, check head lights as well as said earlier.
Make sure that you also check the ground coming from your head lights and that it is making good connection. It could very well be the ground if both lights went out at the same time.

gt

·
Registered
260 Posts
The circuit breaker for the headlights is IN the switch itself; it's also weak and cannot handle a lot of current. The breaker tends to get corroded after so many heat cycles, so yours is probably original (i.e. needs to be changed).

This is why you aren't supposed to run higher output lighting without relays, because the switch is the first thing to fry. ;)

I agree with checking the grounds, though; I have an H4 conversion on my Dart and it took a week to work out the bugs; all of which were ground-related.

·
Registered
111 Posts
(At lease) one of the aftermarket wiring harness makers makes a ground harness that bolts to the engine block where the battery negative
cable goes. It has runners to various points and by connecting your grounds to them, you effectively bring all your grounds back to
the negative battery post. Taking all the grounds to the body at various points "works" fairly well, but when you get into high power stuff,
or radio frequency, or (and most commonly) bodies that are getting loose in their old age {I mean CAR bodies, but take it for what it's worth}
you get "ground loops" that CAN cause glitches. Everything tied back to the pattery gives you nice clean two way circuits to and from all the loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts