Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the new boxes tacked in where they go but i dont know what they mean when they tell you to use your old front hangers. oh yeah this is for a 74 cuda

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What they mean is install your old hangers, butt the new box up to the old hangers, and run a piece of bar stock through both to insure the new hanger eyes are in the proper location, just moved inboard.

This is fitup prior to welding.

It is also a good idea to weld washers around the eye holes on your boxes for reinforcement and prevent ovaling.

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. i got that far but they said you can use the old front hangernto hang the rear of the spring. is this right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the instuctions said that you could use the old front hangers and modify then for the read hangers. if not i would love to see some pics of how you guys have done the rear hangers

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here's what I did. First get the rear of the car spported before you do any cutting. Take the box and line it up with the bottom of the frame rail. place the rear of the box flush with the steel that the stock hanger bolted to. Cut the frame to accept the new boxes. BEFORE you tack it up the boxes, clamp them to the stock hangers while trying to maintian your best fit up for welding. transfer your bolt holes in your stock hangers to the new boxes. Drill the boxes. Weld washers around the bolt holes to prevent elongation. Place the boxes next to the stock hangers and slide your bar stock through. Now the spring front eye bolts in your new boxes are true with the factory bolt hole locations. Now you can weld them up.

I would take your boxes off and start over. It will be too hard to drill the boxes with them tacked in place. It doesn't take much to throw your car out of alignment.

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the boxes are drilled and tacked in place im just have a hard time figuring out the rear hangers. if anybody has any pics of what they did to hang the rear of the spring that would help out greatly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are thoes shackels in the stock location? they look like they are. also is that a e-body?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still not sure. that pic look does not look like an e body but it looks like a nice job. i just need the pics of were you guys put the new rear shackels and how you hung them.    very very confussed o[

·
Registered
305 Posts
cuda74340 said:
still not sure. that pic look does not look like an e body but it looks like a nice job. i just need the pics of were you guys put the new rear shackels and how you hung them.    very very confussed o[
The picture he posted looks like a typical A-body with relocated rear hanger. The A-bodies use a stock hanger bolted to the rear frame bracing (you can see the bolt holes to the left in the pic), and in order to relocate must be put into the actual frame rail as his picture shows. I'm not sure if that is the same way an E-body is, or if that is an E-body in the picture. I am sure it is about the same though as the relocation kits for A, B, and E-bodys all look the same visually (the bushings and frame rail bushing tubes are bigger on everything but the A's though).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its def not an e body cuz the e body shackels hang though the frame to begin with and if i am moving the front of the leaves three inched in i have to move the rear of them three inches in. has anybody done this to a cuda befor. HELP ME! **(*) brrrrrt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought just the front on the e-bodies got moved because of the angled springs to begin with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
STILL COMPETLY LOST!  RACE WARS APPROCHING FAST. DOES ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT LATE MODEL E BODYS?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts