Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help, how can I be 100 percent sure what color to paint my steel wheels for my 69 cuda?
I thought the wheels should be body color, I know my build sheet de-codes the wheel covers as
the dog dish style with plymouth division and I have aquired a nice set, but after digging out the original
steel wheels and having them sand blasted all we saw was black paint. I allways thought the wheels were body color.
Does any one know where the correct info can be found for the wheel paint on the build sheet or
data tag? Thanks for any help
BB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think mabe the wheels were switched, but they have the correct date code for a 69
OR the owner before me was restoring the car and he had a set of new 185's on these
steel wheels, (way to small) he may have also blasted the rims and painted them black?

The car is a real sweet 69 cuda MODTOP that is 100% bone stock except
for the rally wheels and the electronic ignition. I think I am going with the y2 yellow body color
but I just want to make sure. I have had several calls about the car and have been told
by a local restoration shop it would bring a lot more money (3-5k more) wearing the original
wheels and caps, plus I like the painted steel wheels also.
I am trying to get the car ready for the big mopar show in Atlanta GA. by September 9th.

nothing on the build sheet? or data tag?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This may be completely irrelevant, but my B body guide says, "In 1968 and 1969, the steel wheels were painted to match the lower portion of the body in 30deg finish. White cars were the exception; here the wheels were painted gloss black. If full wheel covers were ordered, then the wheel was painted 30deg gloss glack regardless of exterior color."

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
abodyjoe said:
i'm not 100% sure but i thought that if the car had dog dishes it got body color wheels and if it had full wheel covers then the rims were black....

My 69 Dart GT has the wheel covers and body color wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts