Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dodge Dart '68.  I put new rear leaf spings in and moved them in 3 inches.  When I set the car down (full weight) the rear shackles hit the frame (swing back).  Any suggestions as to what my problem might be?  Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I do remember when I installed mt re-arched springs that my shackles went forward before the wheels were on the ground, I just pryed them back, I think that was because of longer shocks which let the axle droop more. keep us informed, okee doke?

·
Registered
459 Posts
rrayotte said:
I have a Dodge Dart '68.  I put new rear leaf spings in and moved them in 3 inches.  When I set the car down (full weight) the rear shackles hit the frame (swing back).  Any suggestions as to what my problem might be?  Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you use the hole in the frame for the rear shackles? I had the same problem, if you drill out the existing hole in the frame like the instructions say, the factory length shackles are too short...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Are you not supossed to use stock shackles if you relocate the springs? Thats the first time I've heard that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
mopowers said:
Are you not supossed to use stock shackles if you relocate the springs?  Thats the first time I've heard that.
You can use the stock shackles if you put the hole through the frame rail low enough, but if you drill out the existing hole in the frame it's too high up and causes the springs to hit the frame...

Ryan

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ryan (Strange246) said:
mopowers said:
Are you not supossed to use stock shackles if you relocate the springs?  Thats the first time I've heard that.
You can use the stock shackles if you put the hole through the frame rail low enough, but if you drill out the existing hole in the frame it's too high up and causes the springs to hit the frame...

Ryan
So what shackles do you need to buy to do it right? What shackles come in the relcation kit from mopar? I heard they were stock length.

·
Registered
459 Posts
mopowers said:
Ryan (Strange246) said:
mopowers said:

Ryan
So what shackles do you need to buy to do it right?  What shackles come in the relcation kit from mopar?  I heard they were stock length.
You can buy aftermarket shackles that are longer, but the best way to do it to is to just drill the holes for the shackles to mount to lower in the frame rails...Here's mine, (trunk floor removed for clarity) See where the tube is to mount the shackle? it needs to be moved closer to the bottom of the frame rail for the shackles to work right...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Would an inch lower work with stock shackles Ryan?

·
Registered
459 Posts
sickhemi said:
that was nice of you to remove the trunk floor too show him the problem lol
Doing what I can to help the common man LOL

·
Registered
459 Posts
mopowers said:
Would an inch lower work with stock shackles Ryan?
If I did it again I'd just put them in so that they were as low in the frame as possible, IE:bottom of the tube flush with the bottom of the frame rail...I got pissed with mine and ditched the shackles all together and went to sliders...Not on the road yet so I cant attest to that being a good or bad decision...

Ryan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts