Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm looking to buy a 6 pack hood for my 75 dart. From what i've read AAR is the best place to purchase one. The problem is my car is 95% street, but when I called them, they said that they only carry the lift off hood for my year and body type. So my question is, is there any problems with using a lift off hood on the street? Anyway to modify it once i get it to use the hinges w/o springs, and somehow creat a hood prop rod to keep it up. Or is it not that big of a deal to take a figerlass hood off by yourself? I don't think that they weigh that much. Thanks Lucas

G

·
my advice is not to use a lift-off hood,you will regret it.not only is it a pain but it can get scratched easily and even blow away in a gust of wind.modifying one would work but would take a little fab. skills and fiberglass work,another p.i.t.a.I would just use a stock hood if it is for street use, why not?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason for not a stock hood is currently with my setup the air cleaner is about 1/8" from the hood, and it is not even a taller intake, so if I'm going to paint the car, why not, and save work down the road for future engine combo's. Plus it just looks alot cooler with the hood scoop! -0*(

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have a used AAR lift off hood for a Dart Sport (also fits 69 cudas). The bracing under the hood is not in the right place to convert it to bolt onto the hinges, You might check to see if they sell a bolt on hood for a 69 cuda, I thought they did. A bolt on with a prop rod works very well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a SS hemi lift-off hood on my car and I personally don't regret it all. I expect there are many that might get tired of the hassle. It is definitely not as convenient as a stock hood w/hinges. But it is light and looks awesome. Kind of boils down to your priorities.....The decision on your hood ( as well as the hundreds of decisions on future mods) should just be consistent with your goals on what kind of car you want to end up with ultimately.

My car is driven 99% on the street, but all the mods that have taken place and are currently taking place actually make it LESS streetable, but more exactly how I want the car to be ;D

BBD

G

·
maybe just cut a hole in the stock hood and mud up a scoop, should look good, fit perfectly and only cost you a few pounds extra,which does'nt matter on the street anyway.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My duster has a glass lift off 6 pack hood. It came with the car, the hinges were already gone. It is somewhat of a pain to take off. But you find an easy way to do it. It sure is nice when you're working in the engine compartment. I can't say working under the hood anymore.

don

·
Registered
95 Posts
I made my glass hood hinge forward with a set of ricer hatchback hinges....so i can lift it up to check fluids or whatever, I glassed a threaded metal bracket into the bottom front of the hood,and bolted the hinge on. I made a bracket off the headlight bucket for the other side of the hinge to bolt on to, but made that bolt a post with a quick pin..I put hood pins in the back of the hood at the top of the firewall.....I can lift the hood up with it hinged or pull two pins and remove the hood to work on it ! Best of both worlds..

SIKPUP ;D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered the lift off 6-pack hood from AAR, So thanks for the replies. I'm thinking about just fabing some kind of foam or rubber to where if you lay it down it won't scratch, and when you put the hood on, you won't be able to see it anyway. Another question, is what is everyone's fealings on running fiberglass fendors on the street? I'm thinking of going the no rust route. tnku Lucas

·
Registered
828 Posts
I personally cannot see what you would want to mess with a lift off hood. I ordered the bolt on one from AAR, and it is well made. I guess if you are picking ever lbs off a race car maybe, but to me, a lift off is a PITA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.