Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on buying an AAR fiberglass hood this weekend, and i want to use a prop rod to hold the hood up instead of weaker hood springs. My question is whats the best way to disconnect the factory hood springs on a 67 dart without removing the fenders ??? Big screwdriver ?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Take the hood off.

You won't get the actual springs off the hinges without removing the hinges. But you might be ok if you pop the hooked end of the spring off the pin. It'll pop pretty good, so be careful.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the pic fourspeed, i have a better idea what i'm dealing with now. I went and stared at the hinges again for a few minutes and i think i can just shove a screwdriver or a prybar in from the top and slide the end of the spring off of that retaining pin. I not worried about actually removing the springs at this time, just disconnecting them so there is no tension on the hinges. I dont want to have to pull fenders to install a fiberglass hood.

·
Registered
137 Posts
GON_RACIN said:
thanks for the pic fourspeed, i have a better idea what i'm dealing with now.  I went and stared at the hinges again for a few minutes and i think i can just shove a screwdriver or a prybar in from the top and slide the end of the spring off of that retaining pin.  I not worried about actually removing the springs at this time, just disconnecting them so there is no tension on the hinges.  I dont want to have  to pull fenders to install a fiberglass hood.
you can get at them by just removing your inner splash shields

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks azz, i tried several times today to release the hook end of the springs off of the stud but i just cant get a good bite on it with anything, there just isnt enough room in there to work. I'll try to remove the inner splash shields later on in the week, first i've got to scrape away all the undercoating so i can get a socket on the bolt heads :( On a better note i picked up my AAR hood saturday at the mopar show at rockingham dragway. If it fits as good as it looks i'll be in business ;D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
took the inner splash shield out and was able to get the springs popped loose. Getting the shields out was kind of a pain, i had to bend the little fender tab that the bolt runs through to have enough room to get them out, but it worked none the less and i didnt have to pull the fenders. thanks azz ;D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i only opened and closed the hood once after i popped the springs off and nothing tried to hang up so i think it'll be ok. Worst case scenario if it tries to hang i'll just zip tie the springs out of the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts