Big Block Dart Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
blower motor change

i bought a motor for a early 70s dodge truck,installed it in stock location and have atleast 3/4" clearence . no other modifications is on a 68 valiant 440

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey I am new to this site, I have a 69 R/T SE Charger and have always been a B-Body fan but I just ran accross a 72 Dodge Dart and now I am starting to be an A- Body fan also, I am looking at picking this one up and build a low deck bigblock car and I was wondering on your heater blower modification is that necessary if you are running stock valve covers with a low deck motor? Right now I am doing alot of reading and soaking up information for my next car project.

Kevin
I dont think you have to touch it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This post really caught my eye, so I decided to dive in and accomplish this mod. Well for anyone reading this, know that this mod is for NON-AC cars, because my Dart was an original AC car, and the heater box is very different than the one in your pictures. The hole in the firewall is different for an AC car as well, much larger. So scavenging a non-AC heater box out of the salvage yard still presents a problem with the firewall. Even the fan motor is bigger for the AC vice non-AC. Not to mention that I had all my dash pieces replated and I have the AC controls in my 67 Dart. So after finding out about the diffences, I had my work cut out for me. It is still possible to modify the AC version, but it takes a bit more fabrication and some welding since the blower motor housing is metal, and alot of trimming off of the retainer ring for the fan motor, and cutting off the inner steel cone at the rear of the housing is required so that the motor can be set into the housing to gain the recessed distance required. I haven't finished just yet to see how this is all going to work out in the end. But just thought I'd post this so if you want to try this be aware of the differnces between an AC car and a non-AC car. Good Luck.
I know it's been years since your post and I see you do not post on here much but did you happen to get the shorter blower motor in your A/C heater box? I'm in the same situation having a 69 dart a/c car installing a 440 using the Dc k-member and spool mounts.

Thank you

Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
Carefully drill out all of the rivets, dispose of them and remove the sheet metal back.

5 - You will find that the heater motor is held on to the heaterbox mounting bolts on the rear plate by four nuts.
5.1 - The mount studs SHOULD each have a small spacer tube on them , remove and save them and the four nuts for use on reassembly.
5.2 - Remove the four nuts that retain the heater motor and remove the motor and squirrel cage fan assembly and carefully set aside Be careful that you do not bend or damage the fan.

6 - You should now have a flat piece of sheetmetal with a hole for the fan and four studs for mounting the fan.

7 - Now take the sheetmetal back and turn it over. You will see the original mounting studs are spot welded on to the back. Find four 1/4" X 1" bolts with threads all the way to the head of the bolt and center one bolt on top of the head of each of the original mounting studs and weld them in place. Let cool then proceed to next step.

Dracaena Reflexa
vegitbale

41 - 49 of 49 Posts