Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Hope you all had a great Christmas, and Santa delivered of alot of Mopar goodies under the tree. I'm lucky I don't have much hair left up top, because I'd be pulling it out by now. I'm trying to put in my T-Bars, and that old ones just won't budge. Broke the entire front end apart, U-C Arm is out, the only thing holding the lower control arm now in the front strut. Took out the Clip, removed as much of the old road dirt as possible, and used air to blow out the rest. Since I'm not going to reuse of sell the old bars, I tried a Vice Grip on the bar, but this %$#@ thing won't budge. Even pounding it with a 5lb mallot, still holding in place.

Any ideas?

Thanks, and a Happy New Year. o----o<>

Pat

·
Registered
243 Posts
be sure the tension is off the adjusting bolt, get out your pipe wrench thing and clamp it on, and your 5# mallet again, and wail away. you'll ruin the bar, but it should come out, pound pound pound

good luck it'll come! **(*)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have the adjuster all the way backed off, in face even took out the screw just in case it adding the slightest pressure. I think there's a 12" Pipe Wrench downstairs. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
704 Posts
yes, i was going to say a ford hammer,

try making a torsion bar tool,

take a thick piece of metal and put two u bolts through it, tighten down on the bar and wail away with your hammer

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you have a cutting torch just burn them in half, I had the same problem, I cut mine in half and they came right out.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
moparrr07 said:
yes, i was going to say a ford hammer,

try making a torsion bar tool,

take a thick piece of metal and put two u bolts through it, tighten down on the bar and wail away with your hammer
[]{}

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Home Dopot had big enough u bolts. They were a part of some wire rope clamps. Use two with a peice of 3" angle iron and you'll be set for T bars in the future

·
Registered
704 Posts
i got mine at Menard's, they had a whole selection on sizes

note: this also makes a great installation tool

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.... doh, should have thought about cutting them doh.

I checked out my HD, but the largest U-Bolts they have are like 3/8". Looks like I'll be getting the saw out, and building that upper body strength bbat

As always, you guys rock.

Pat

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jim_Lusk said:
You can cut the bar or you can remove the front nut on the strut rod and the nut on the LCA pivot and push/pound/pry the LCA out.
Jim's got it right. If you do it the way he's suggesting you won't even damage the torsion bars so you can either sell them or reuse them on another vehicle.

I unload them and pull the rear clips, unbolt the bottom of the shock and tie it up, remove both nuts from the LCAs, and beat the LCAs back by placing a short 2X4 on it and hitting with a mallot. The t-bars will pop out the back of the crossmember and then you'll be easily able to pull them out of the LCAs. I've never had one that wouldn't come out this way, even on extremely rusted cars.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Brad4406 said:
Jim_Lusk said:
You can cut the bar or you can remove the front nut on the strut rod and the nut on the LCA pivot and push/pound/pry the LCA out.
Jim's got it right.  If you do it the way he's suggesting you won't even damage the torsion bars so you can either sell them or reuse them on another vehicle.

I unload them and pull the rear clips, unbolt the bottom of the shock and tie it up, remove both nuts from the LCAs, and beat the LCAs back by placing a short 2X4 on it and hitting with a mallot.  The t-bars will pop out the back of the crossmember and then you'll be easily able to pull them out of the LCAs.  I've never had one that wouldn't come out this way, even on extremely rusted cars.
I agree; it's a LOT easier when you can move the control arm, they should pop right out after that. So far, I haven't had this problem yet, though. The first set I changed fell right out of the sockets and the second set I thought were stuck until I gave them a few love taps near the socket area. ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got them out :).... The back socket was caked with road grim, old grease, and just 39 Years of gunk.... Took a small screw driver in there, cleaned them out. Two taps on a pipe wrench and they fell right out. The secret for me was to tighten down as close as possible to the rear of the bar. A couple of taps and out she came.

o[

That completes the front end... Now onto the Rear... stay tuned this should be fun lol

Happy New Year everyone....

Pat

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now tell us the real story. Once you cleaned out the back socket you found the retaining clip. It's ok. Learning is a neat thing. The rear is easy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
the 'ol pipe wrench wins again!

good job, keep us posted...

Joel

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
**(*) No really, I had the clips out already :). Gotta tell you though, the Drivers side was really tough, trying to work around the original /6 exhaust. It's coming out, but still need to move the car around until the 440 is built :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts