Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the MP offset spring hanger and shackle kit to put on my 1967 Dart GT. There were no instructions with the hangers. It looks like you have to make a big oblong hole in the outside of the frame rail to make room for the welded nut on the hanger, and it has to be a couple of inches long to allow room for the studs to slide in. Am I missing something here? I know this is done all the time, I just want to make sure I am doing it right. Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You need a hole, but I don't think it has to me much bigger then the nut. You can make the 4 holes bigger for the hanger if needed. I'd think about reinforcing that hole.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drilled a 1.25 inch hole, which should clear the nut, but you can't drop the nut in the hole because the studs in the hanger hold it maybe 1" back. I tried knocking the studs out, but two of them are trapped after it was welded together. The hanger holes would have to be huge to get enough clearance, and I don't want to do this. I don't want to make a big hole in the frame, because I don't see how to reinforce it. Any other advice? o[

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought the offest hangers also and don't like the design,but I'm thinking about welding the hanger to the frame to reinforce where the hole is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welding the hanger to the frame would definitely reinforce the frame, but you would never be able to get your springs out in the future. Remember, the hanger has to be attached to the spring before installing in the car, as there is not enough clearance to slide the long bolt through the spring bushing after it is in the car.

I went ahead and drilled two overlapping 1.25 dia. holes to clear the hanger nut. I'm planning to weld a plate over the inside of the frame rail to reinforce it. OK but not great.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used a bolt just long enough to fully engage the threads on the nut, but short enought to just barely remove it. I cut the bolt down to the proper length and can remove it and install it with out removing the hanger. It's a 68 Valiant post car, but I don't think it would be any different from a Dart. The bolt just barely comes out, you have to hold your tongue just right though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
HemiDoug, I have seen it done exactly like you described in your first post...a long slot. On my 68 this slot would intersect with an existing factory hole in the frame rail, so I would patch the hole first and then make the slot where it needs to go. I wouldn't worry about this weakening the frame rail at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
451 Valiant- I considered cutting the bolt to allow installation after the hanger is installed, but it looked like I would have to cut off too many threads and cut the head down too, so I passed on this one. Congrats on getting it to work for you.

A13Dart- I drilled into a small hole already in the frame; maybe a half inch in diameter. It is well ventilated now. Fortunately, the steel is in good shape there- no rust.

I still wonder why MP doesn't include instructions with the kit, or change the design so the studs are replaced with weld nuts that can be bolted from the back. **(*)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed mine this past week. I put the front boxes on first and actually had enough room to install the springs later. It is tight, but can be done. I spaced the hangers back one inch, so I knocked the studs out and went with bolts. This also allowed me to just put a hole big enough for the welded nut to fit in. The studs will knock out with a little persuasion. I have to admit the kit looks great in place. Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
i installed that kit on my dart about 5 years ago. i just cut a big slot in the frame rail to get it to fit. i didnt reinforce the rail. so far, 5 years later, no problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After drilling the overlapping holes to get clearance, I got the hangers in. They actually fit pretty good. I test fit the springs on the car to measure the distance between the mounting pins so I would know where to mount the new spring perches on the differential housing. I got a measurement of 41 3/4 inches. Stock is 43 inches. Does this sound right to you guys that have done this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts