Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Very similar to the stock braking system on my 2001 Cummins Dodge truck. Since diesels don't have many handy ports to tap for a vacuum source, it uses the fluid pressure off the power steering pump to generate the braking assist. But those systems on the Summit page seem pricy. Before I spent that kind of coin, I'd upgrade to the best factory style disc brakes I could install on the front, such as 11 3/4" rotors, etc. Then maybe look into rear discs as well. Then if I still needed more stopping power I'd consider something like the hydroboost system.

·
Registered
267 Posts
to me, manual brakes have always been more than enough on these a-bodies. Personally, the benefit isnt justified by the cost, but maybe its worth it to you.

·
Registered
474 Posts
They work great for a large braking system, (13" and bigger rotors) but are pretty much over-kill for stock stuff. They built something around 2000 psi.

G

·
I used the system from HydraTech. It's a nice system if you want power brakes. Really, it's use is more like part of a "package" - if you have a big cam with low vacuum or not enough room for a regular booster, and you're already running power steering. I thought it worked great, but I prefer manual brakes, so I couldn't get too excited.
Also note that on the one side is a gold colored cylinder - it's a small accumulator that gives about 10 pedal applications should the belt fly off.

If you want one, I suggest going right to hydratech and talk to Paul - it's better to deal direct so you have access to his tech support if you have questions with plumbing. I'm certain the summit people wouldn't have a clue if you needed something.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bill_Reilly said:
I used the system from HydraTech. It's a nice system if you want power brakes. Really, it's use is more like part of a "package" - if you have a big cam with low vacuum or not enough room for a regular booster, and you're already running power steering. I thought it worked great, but I prefer manual brakes, so I couldn't get too excited.
Also note that on the one side is a gold colored cylinder - it's a small accumulator that gives about 10 pedal applications should the belt fly off.

If you want one, I suggest going right to hydratech and talk to Paul - it's better to deal direct so you have access to his tech support if you have questions with plumbing. I'm certain the summit people wouldn't have a clue if you needed something.
Bill, will it work with a stock GM Saginaw style pump?

G

·
Yea. I recommend the regular saginaw for everything. The little remote res. pump seems to be really popular lately, mostly due to the drive systems now on the market, but they don't work near as well. They CAN work well, but the supply hose length and size usually causes problems with cavitation, while the old standard saginaw works great with no concerns at all, it bolts right on, and the plumbing is much simpler.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Hydra boost system on my 84 1 ton Crew Cab with 4 wheel disc & 12" rotors works much better than the stock system with 37" tires, but I think its way to much for a A-Body besides the lins Pressure being more than double manual brakes I would not want to add all the componets into my car. I like manual steering 7 with the K-H disc up front my car stops quite well using the MP dual bale master.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The problem with power brakes are they are ugly and not needed on A-body cars. Drove a 440 duster for 8 years without power steering or brakes. The wife used the car occasionally and the grand daughter learned to drive in the car with comments or problems.
The 11 3\4" wheel and tire combo with the mopar aluminum master cyclinder was used as a braking sysem.l

1 - 10 of 10 Posts