Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done performing some well-needed changes to the car.
I removed the rear end and cut off the perches, as they were set with the pinion angle for stock springs, and 1 was 1/4" too far out. (no idea how I did that)
So I got the perches welded back on. both are the same angle and the axle housing is centered. While I had it out, i measured from the front hanger to the center of the top shackle mount on both sides and they are the same. also measured heights of each and they were also the same from side to side.
verified, AGAIN, that the S/S springs are on the correct sides, and reinstalled the rear end. my pinion angle is correct now but the passenger sode STILL sits low. every other car i've seen with S/S springs has the passenger side higher by 3/4-1 1/2" my driver side sits higher by 3/4".

could the car be that much heavier on the passenger side to make it sit lower?
it actually LOOKS like the right side spring is flattened out more than the left.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Man, I thought you had found the problem with the uneven perches placing unequal load on the springs. ??? I moved my springs in, made sure all was square, bolted the 002 / 003 springs in, and the passenger side is 3/4" higher. ???

Does your passenger side spring visibly have more arch unloaded when placed next to the driver's spring?

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes. when they were on the floor, i put the passenger side on top of the driver's side, lined up the front eyes and the center pins. the passenger side had at least 2" more arch at the rear eye.

I remounted the perches in all hopes that it was the reason for this problem....but i guess not. o[

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went with HD springs instead of SS so the car would be level. Since you have checked correct sping placement and corrected the perches.......what about the battery. Is it trunk mounted? but that shouldn't be the cause.............make a spacer for the low side and bring it up to level the car

If I remember correctly the Right side should have an extra leaf. Maybe they gave you the wrong springs

·
Registered
392 Posts
Damn, something weird going on here. You said your original springs let the pass side sit too low too, I think. ???

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
WildCat said:
If I remember correctly the Right side should have an extra leaf. Maybe they gave you the wrong springs
I think this is the second set of springs that he had bought thinking about that already. He is a total of 1.5" out.

Could the body be twisted? Unwind the T bars and see where it sits. The bars on my RR and Dart have equal tension and they both sit high on the passenger side like normal. Probably too long ago to remember what it sat like with the stock springs? I assume the car tracks straight?

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A13Dart said:
Damn, something weird going on here. You said your original springs let the pass side sit too low too, I think. ???
yes. it was more severe with the stock springs. I thought at the time that the stock ones were just worn out.
This is the second set of S/S springs i've used. the other ones were 3000#. these are 3300#. the right side DOES have an extra leaf, too.

I just got done playing with some ideas. i took the motor plate loose and moved the engine to the driver's side 1" and bounced the suspension. no change.
I also tried messing with the torsion bars. back when I redid the front suspension, I adjusted them to sit level with the rear framerails level side to side. today i cranked up on the passenger side and down on the drivers side 1 turn each. this got the right side 1/2" lower than the driver's in the rear. however, it has removed the evenness that the front end was set to.

I do have the battery in the trunk over the right rear, but I tried puting some cylinder heads over the left rear, and made no difference.

i wonder if the body is twisted and the doors/fenders were aligned to a twisted body??????
seems if it was twisted that much, then it'd be noticeable or have a kink in the body somewhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this has been posted before, but SS springs are designed to be higher on the driver side to compensate for driver weight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ciscodog said:
I know this has been posted before, but SS springs are designed to be higher on the driver side to compensate for driver weight. 
you're the second person i've heard that from. but I've never seen a car that had S/S springs and sat higher on the driver's side....except mine.
ALSO. the stock springs let the passenger side sit 1 1/2-2" lower than the driver's side. THAT's why I got new springs the first time....because I thought the stock ones were wornm out or something.

i'm going to go let the t-bars down all the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a bigger difference with the stock springs, and that's because the right rear gets most of the torque and therefore wears out the spring faster. They WERE worn out. I think your SS springs are doing exactly what they should now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely not. Engine torque rotates the axle, planting the driver tire and lifting the passenger tire. The right-side spring is stiffer with more arch to combat the torque rotation and evenly plant both tires. The drivers weight only helps to even out the weight of the car - the passenger side is almost always heavier with a stock chassis car because of the drive line offset. SS springs are for traction and a flat, even launch - how it sits when parked wasn't a concern when they were designed. 4-link cars have the same problem, which is why they require a sway bar to keep the car flat during launch - which is a good point to make. Instead of SS springs with an uneven ride height, you'd get the same affect by using 2 stiff ones of the same arch and using a sway bar to control axle rotation. Ladder bars aren't such a problem because they don't allow the axle to rotate, but the trade-off with ladders is limited adjustment and alot more pinion angle change.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ciscodog said:
Just sent out and checked. I thought they compensated the right side for torque. I have a 3/4" larger dimension from the axle tube to the underside of the frame on the passemger side. this is in a car with no interior, no engine and /6 T bars in factory adjustment. I am definitely higher on the passenger side.

Tom

·
Registered
267 Posts
I thought the same thing - right side higher for torque. that's what i've always heard, but then i've never had a pair

·
Registered
311 Posts
i just spent an hour in the driveway playing with the Mancini XHD springs on my dart. I have the exact opposite problem, my car sits way to high on the passenger side b/c of the extra arch in the passenger side spring. Anyway, heres a thought.......measure the distance between the shock mounting studs for each side of the car and see what the difference is. The distance between the upper and lower mounting stud on the passenger side should be tad longer than the drivers side IF the passenger side spring had more preload, which it should with SS springs. If all that checks out then the problem has to be elsewhere, maybe the car was wrecked at some point ??? Take some measurements from points on the suspension aswell as the body. Think its possible that maybe the springs were mislabled with the wrong part number?? If you take the springs off the car and lay them side by side the passenger spring will have alot more arch in it. Being that the car sat funny with the factory springs makes me think something else is going on. I'm still debating on what to do about my crooked ass car :-\ Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or is it because the glove box is on the right and people put so much crap in there it makes the car sit lower. Yeah that's it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
what are the angles of the rear shackles like? are they pretty close to one another? maybe there is something wierd with the shackles or the shackle mounts? this could cause some the arch in the spring to be lost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK

did the torsion bar thing. noticed that when I let the adjusters all the way off, with SOME weight still on the front end (was on stands, about 2" from tires being off ground) and the passenger side let loose way before the driver's sdie. the drivers side cam actually went all the way tight against the adjuster block. the passenger side quit about 1/2" from it. SO i tightened the passenger side more than the driver's side and lowered the front end back down. with most of the weight of the rear on stands, the front end now sat level. side-to-side. excellent.

so i let the rear down and now we're sittig level back there. excellent! only a little more to go.

so with the rear on the ground, I find that the right shackle is angled more to the rear, which makes sense, provided the right spring is compressed more.

however, upon supporting the rear BACK up on jack stands at the front of the rear rails, i double check all the frame lengths and heights. everything is equal. Now I decide to check suspension points to floor. front eyes are the same, but rear shackle top mount is 1/4" closer to floor on right side. but the frame at that point is the same on both sides. the mounting bolts on the passenger side shackle are 1/4" closer to the floor.

SO i found something different, but wouldn't the right side being closer to the floor make that side sit HIGHER anyway?
it wouldn't make that side of the car "heavier", thereby flattening that side more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts