Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story.

I have a '73 dart Sport, 502 low deck stroker, automatic.

This car went straight as an arrow with an 8 3/4 spool and SS leaf springs.

At the end of last seasn I put cal-tracs, a DTS Dana with spool and rear disc and QA1 12 way adjustable shocks on it.

Since then, I have gone from hard right, to moderately left, never straight.

I have the rear shocks at 6, the front shocks at 2. I have the cal-tracs at 2 flats right and 0 flats left. I have been tinkering with the adjustments for awhile now, I had them at 4 flats right when it was going right, now I have them at 2 right and it is starting to go left, so I'm getting there.

I think I'm closing in on the direction, the problem I'm having now is the car seems to be bouncing and loading then unloading the tires.

I have the bars in the bottom holes now, but I had them in the top also. The bottom seems a little better.

I just measured the travel in the front end and I have a little over 4 inches of travel. I like to get more and I'm open to suggestions.

The car should run well into the 9's, it ran low 10's last year with a bad motor.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
cudadartgtx said:
I think I'm closing in on the direction, the problem I'm having now is the car seems to be bouncing and loading then unloading the tires.
my initial reaction is that yeah, it sounds like youre close to dead on and its hitting the rear tires dead on center enough that the 'bouncy' nature of low inflated slicks is created that sort of 'rubber ball' effect.

maybe play with tire pressure a little? going up (or down) a half pound or pound (for the pair) at a time?

/shrug

note: been a long time since I did that detailed sort of suspension tuning so alot of my knowledge is 20 or more years old with a substantially older tech. feel free to ignore me. ;D

G

·
i agree with capt,try diff. tires and pressures.also see my post"slow motion top fuel"you may need a little tire spin believe it or not,it sounds like you have alot of power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using the monos.

I have varried the tire pressure from 9 to 11 lbs. I'm still getting the bounce.

It loads and umloads the tires and when they grab, it shoots the car either left or right because of the Cal-tracs I'm guessing.

With the shocks on 6 or 8 or 10, I feel like I'm riding on 2x4s.

4 feels better, but it bounces a lot more.

Anyone have any tips on getting more front end travel?

I took the rubber bumpers off the upper control arms today, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i have the rancho shocks on my dart with the caltracs. at the strip i put them on the stiffest selection. yeah it does give a rough ride but there arent too many bumps and potholes on the dragstrip. i run my slicks at 18-22 psi. my caltracs are set with 1/2 turn preload in the bottom hole, both sides.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
I used to run mine around 15-20 as well. a bit more pressure miight hold the sidewalls a little stiffer and eliminate some of the bouncy-ness. the GTX I had would change lanes on me if I ran them too low.

worth a shot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try some more air pressure in my slicks, hopefully I can get this thing corrected before I lose another season.

Does anyone see any problem with me removing the rubber stops from the upper control arms?

This is a drag only car and I'm trying to get as much front end travel as possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
are you running tubes in the slicks? as far as the psi, my car starts to get squirley at the top end of the track with less than 15 psi.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm running the mopar performance racing bars. I guess they are are equivalent to th 6 cylinder bars.

Like I said, the car launched hard and straight before I put on the cal-tracs and changed the shocks and springs.

I believe the problems are in the shocks or the cal-tracs and mono springs.

I will continue to play with the cal-tracs and shocks until I get this corrected.

G

·
don't any one get mad, but this is another bad story for cal tracs..................
anyway,i built a 10.50 sec duster for a friend, he to uses the QA1 shocks with SS springs
we run the right side 1 click stiffer and it works great!!!!!!!!! leaves straight with wheels in the AIR!!!!!!!
all stock brakes and front suspention. 340 tortion bars

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.