Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know exactly what the difference is between the 69 ignition switches and the 68 and earlier switches? I have wiring schematics for 69 but not earlier; is it a physical difference as far as the plug? The Dart has been getting harder and harder to start (sometimes the bendix pops in and out really fast without turning or it won't do anything at all), and now it's totally dead. o[ I thought it was the starter at first, but after replacing it (both Denso starters for a late-model truck) the problem was still there. Wiring is ok, so it has to be either the switch or the relay near the battery, which will be replaced tomorrow.

As far as the switch, due to the high price and low availability of the 69-only switches, I was thinking of modifying a 68 switch to fit...if it can be done without completely tearing up the wiring, that is. ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Run a couple of wires from the switch to a starter button hidden in the ash tray. I removed the cigarette lighter and mounted a switch from Autozone in that location on a 74 Duster to alleviate the same problem.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cudadust said:
Run a couple of wires from the switch to a starter button hidden in the ash tray.  I removed the cigarette lighter and mounted a switch from Autozone in that location on a 74 Duster to alleviate the same problem. 
Yeah, that was the next step if the relay doesn't work out and I can't find another switch. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
The switch is physically larger. I haven't compared connections. I do have a very nice one that I pulled from my old Polara wagon, but I doubt that the switch is your problem. Check all connections before giving up. Also, to check the relay: get a starter button and connect one end to the positive terminal on the battery. Remove the yellow wire from the relay and connect the other end of the starter button where the yellow wire was. Push the button. If the car cranks fine the relay is fine. If it doesn't, remove the NSS wire (usually brown) and run a jumper wire from this terminal to ground.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't have time to try your testing method, Jim; but I'm gonna remember that one next time. ;) I picked up a new relay from work and dropped it off at my girlfriend's while I was on my lunch break so she could install it (she used to work at a parts store; it's nice to have a girl that doesn't mind getting greasy ;D), and she reported that the symptoms were the same after a couple of starts, but then smooth as silk after that. Probably was just the connections; sometimes all you have to do is take stuff apart.

By the way, I highly recommend the Denso-type starters; I'll never go back to the old-style after using them, the engine turns over a lot quicker and cleaner, plus they pull less amps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts