Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any keys for my 68 dart project. How do you change the ignition cylinder? Where is a good place to get ignition/door locks and keys?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. Do you know if the bezel nut holds the ignition cylinder in place or is there more to it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
A13Dart said:
Thanks Jim. Do you know if the bezel nut holds the ignition cylinder in place or is there more to it?
the bezel nut does hold the switch housing and the housing holds the key cylinder in it, also don't forget about removing the battery cable and the electric socket off the back of the housing. You can re-key it yourself like Jim said, it's not that hard or you can take it to a lock smith to have it done, or just pick another cylinder and keys up at your local auto parts store, you can also pick up the switch housing there to, but remember the ignition key is supposed to be the same key used for the door locks.
Another alternative is to buy a set of keyed alike door locks and ignition cylinder and a new trunk lock with key from this guy on ebay heres the linkhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966...goryZ34205QQihZ002QQitemZ4598518337QQtcZphoto

·
Registered
260 Posts
The switch and the cylinder are available fairly cheap at my work (Kragen), but as everyone stated, unless you want to add another key to your collection it's better just to have a locksmith rework your old one...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody. I've never had good luck with the local locksmith, so I got a set of door locks and ignition cylinder off of e-bay. It's the correct shaped 67/68 key too ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts