Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got ideas why i went thru 2 ignition ecu's in 2 days? First one was a stock box, second one was the gold race box. All stock wiring ('85 ram), MSD blaster ss coil, probably stock resister too id imagine, distributor is stck style, and i reworked the curve in it. Im baffled.

--chad

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob, i was figuring i'd be flirting with disaster idleing it for so long with my setup---damn, those things arent cheap either----well at least i have no more race cars that i COULD have used it in. I guess i'll get another stock one and see what happens----just didnt know if i had a trend going here.

--chad

·
Registered
260 Posts
bOb shingler said:
well for one the gold box takes a special coil and it's a race only deal. the stock one probably just got to it's end.
I agree; those are not for street use. I like the orange box, myself; that's the most I need for right now. I have it grounded with one of those braided straps they have in the parts store Help section.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cleaned up the grounds alredy. I was using the gold box as its all i had around at the time. The alternator is putting out a consistant 14-14.5 volts. This has a 2 prong ballast in it which makes me think that it has been swapped. I really want to say at one point, there was an orange box/mopar performanc dist setup in it, but im speculating. I have a much newer alternator as it was used on the magnum motor---could the older '85 voltage regulator be bad and causing this? Im going to get another stock box in a day or 2 and see what happens i guess. I unfortunatly have to buy another one to diagnose this thing.

--chad

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thinking out loud here, to kill 2 boxes, you would think there's a wiring problem. Now 14.5 volts isn't that bad, and it's really the coil that takes a beating with high voltage. Unless it's the coil and ballast being to low a resistance and overheating the ECU. All those parts have to be matched. What's the voltage at the coil, both sides while it's running. when you get it going again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Huh, wonder if my coil is to much. Its a msd Blaster SS coil---like an e-core style.

--chad

·
Registered
274 Posts
That coil draws too much current. I remember that the old Accel Super coil had to have an extra resistor. Measure the resistance of the coil and compare it to a stock coil. There will be a difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmmmmm, thats not what i wanted to hear. I guess i needto step down on the coil. I had used the blaster ss before, but it was with a 7AL2 box. I ran a blaster 2 coil with the stock stuff before too. Hmmmmm, i guess it could be a case where more isnt better. Damn the hot rodder in me.

--chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts