Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for help with a front suspension problem I've had since I built my 73 Duster big block many years ago using tech from this site. I installed disc from a 74 Duster on my car which was a 6 cylinder car (Gold Duster-Not Gold now!).
The problem is the driver side wheel tips in at the top a lot, and can't be corrected with an alignment.
I used 2 A-arms from the 4 that I got from the two cars. The pass side is fine.
The problem is I don't know if I need a 6 cyl. A-arm or a v-8 A-arm to make the driver side right.
I've driven the car like this for years, It pulls to the right a little, but now I want to make it right before passing it on to my kids.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
welcome back. unfortunately, I don't have an answer to that, as I thought the A-arms for 6's or 8's were the same. it would not however surprise me to find out they aren't.

what I might recommend is find a donor car, get both off of it and replace both, as at least you would/could be sure they're a matched set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome back. unfortunately, I don't have an answer to that, as I thought the A-arms for 6's or 8's were the same. it would not however surprise me to find out they aren't.

what I might recommend is find a donor car, get both off of it and replace both, as at least you would/could be sure they're a matched set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Capt. Jack, if both replacements end up being the wrong pieces to correct the misalignment I'm no further ahead. I'd like to know what I need before I go acquiring and changing parts. What happened to all the tech data that was on this site years ago?

·
Registered
287 Posts
73, I'm wondering if it is possible that someone, not you of course, hit a curb with the driver's side wheel. Since it is not the same on both sides, and you have the same parts off the same car???

Just wondering if you had thought that could be a possibility.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have heard of people having their cars taken for joy rides when they leave them at a shop.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
There are two different upper control arms, early ('72-older) and late ('73-76). The only functional difference being the size of the ball joint.

There are physical differences in lower control arms, but the only one that matters is the location of the sway bar tab and which k-member you have. No tabs, no issue.

The first thing I would look at is the LCA pin tube in the k-member for cracks. Second would be condition of the LCA and bushing. Third would be putting the car on an alignment rack to see what could be done. If it still can't be aligned properly it might be time to put the car on a frame machine.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Dumb question but are your ball joints ok ? They have adjustable tubular Arms but you need to measure and or check all the suspension components. 17 years is a long time .Maybe Post #6 ?
Years back my Dart had a frozen Lower ball joint once and would sometimes lurch my car in corners until I figured it out. Maybe the upper is frozen leaning in ? Squirt some grease in there and see if rusty water comes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts