Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 74 Duster is in the body shop and paint is done. The windshield and back window are out for now. The headliner is the hard board style not a fabric. The headliner is sound and not stained, but has flaking paint. Is it possible to paint it while everything is apart, and would it hold up? What type of paint would be good to use. Is there a better restoration procedure for this. This will be a street/strip car not for serious show.
Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the headliner in my 73 duster recently. Went to Joann fabrics and they sell actual headliner material in a black with a padded backing. Cut it larger than the headliner, use spray adhesive on the liner and material . Have someone help you center fabric on liner(once it touches its not coming apart), use a formica roller to press material to liner. Make sure you bend liner into shape its in when installed before gluing material to it, I think I used a stapler to hold it in place. Cut off extra material and leave a 1" over hang,spray glue on opposite side of liner and fold over edges. Then you can cut in holes for dome light and screw holes. I was surprised how good it came out and its not ugly butterscotch. GOOD LUCK JOHN B

G

·
i bought a headliner from someone like yearone and had a pro install it i think it was a total of $300,it looks perfect,i think you might want to consider going to the fabric headliner I'ts much nicer and you have already painted the car ,plus the headliner can only be done properly with the windows removed,so don't cheap out here,just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
267 Posts
with the board type headliner, its really easy to cover it yourself. do it just like 1fast383 said - go to the fabric store and buy headliner material - they have lots of colors. it will look like the headliner in any new car or truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts