Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after a minor setback with the paint I used on the dashboard of my Demon, I'm stripping it back down and I'm curious what everyone uses to paint they're interior? The gloss black I used for the sail panels and door tops is ok but I used the same paint for the dashboard and steering column but I used a flat-ish or egg shell like finish version of it, it's stuff the body supply place reccomended, it's Dupont Vinyl Paint, but they said it's fine to use over steel and is supposedly pretty durable but the finish on the dash and steering column came out too flat for my liking and it's coming off the dash in a few spots that I screwed up by not prepping it good enough....Now that I have to re-do it, I dunno if I should try a different product or spend the $70 a quart that this stuff costs for another quart and have them try to "gloss it up" a bit more.....Anyone got a reccomendation?

Ryan o[

Oh yes I am a star pupil in bOb Shinglers "atleast I dont have to do it just once" school.....

G

·
Re: Interior Paint?

i tried painting my dash in the car and it was o.k. only,the only way to do it right is to remove it and paint it with the car.one thing i regret not doing doh

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

mopar stu said:
i tried painting my dash in the car and it was o.k. only,the only way to do it right is to remove it and paint it with the car.one thing i regret not doing doh
The dash is out of the car...Cant paint it with the car, car is getting sassy grass green....Black interior...

Ryan

G

·

i didnt realize it was out of the car,automotive paint is good for that but as richard said powder coat is the way to go here,alot less work and will be more durable than paint.also when you go look around for other things to powdercoat all at once.you'll get a better deal.I've always wanted to powdercoat a whole car,anyone ever seen that done?must cost alot but it would be quick and easy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks guys, I'm just going to hose it down with some stripper then prime and epoxy...I'd like to do the powdercoat route but I dont have the funds for it right now, and I dont have the time to wait to save them...Richard I'm doing gloss black on all but the dash and steering column, those I prefer the satin finish...The enamel I just back from getting isnt really flat so keeping it clean shouldnt be too bad...

Ryan

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

poweder coating would be nice, but if you have any areas that required body work with some filler, powder coat would be out of the question. i think. i painted almost all of my interioe metal panels, inside of my car was b-5. i wanted to go with more modern and different, but still close to original. i went with chrysler electric blue, in bc/cc from the pt cruiser and neon. its an awsome color. i did everyting in gloss. i dont have a dashpad on it yet, but it does get funny if i drive on a really sunny day, the blue with the pearl and stuff reflects off of the dash onto the wndshield i cant tell you how many times i thought it was smoke coming out of the hood. i guess it is because i went with gloss. once i put a dash pad on it should help out. i would definitely go with something more durable than vinyl dye the dash will get a lot of uv rays.

·
Registered
260 Posts

When I painted my dash (in the car), I wet-sanded the whole thing, then primered, sanded again, and then sprayed it with Duplicolor semi-gloss black. It came out really good, but my dash was also black to begin with, so that made it a little easier. Getting it clean and prepped was the hardest part; any fingerprints and old Armor-all will totally mess it up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks guys, I stripped it to bare metal last night with aircraft remover and a stripping wheel and hit it with 3 coats of sandable primer, and today or tomorrow it's getting a few coats of black rustoleum satin enamel....For the $8 a quart of it costs I'll try that and see how it looks...worst case if it looks bad...Aircraft Remover comes out again LOL

Ryan

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

I'm with you, I just love Tremclad semi gloss black. I used it for all my chassis parts, the rad, my scoops and stripes. I find it has the perfect level of gloss.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

qkcuda said:
I'm with you, I just love Tremclad semi gloss black.  I used it for all my chassis parts, the rad, my scoops and stripes.  I find it has the perfect level of gloss.
Tremclad?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

qkcuda said:
It's rust paint, in a rattle can.  Maybe it's just a Canadian thing?
??? Must be, never heard of it?....Probobly the same thing...Judging by the can cover, Rustoleum's new Satin finish should be just about right...I'll post pics when it's done, have any of your "Tremcladed" parts?

Ryan

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

Ryan, I will post a pic of the hood as soon as I get the full card in the camera downloaded. I'm really happy with the way it turned out for a rattle can paint job.

·
Registered
114 Posts

For the metal parts you can just use car paint . If you are doing plastic parts SEM makes some good paint for it. Just be carefull because certain plastics need an adhesion promoter for the paint to stick properly.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

im sure you will be happy. ive painted a few GM engine compartments with rustoleum gloss black and they came out looking real sweat. just throw a splash of acetone in it. only bad part, it takes a while to really cure. dont rush trying to put it back in, give it a few days.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

jamesdart said:
im sure you will be happy. ive painted a few GM engine compartments with rustoleum gloss black and they came out looking real sweat. just throw a splash of acetone in it. only bad part, it takes a while to really cure. dont rush trying to put it back in, give it a few days.
Whats the acetone for? Is that just to thin it out so it sprays smoother?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

mopowers said:
jamesdart said:
Whats the acetone for?  Is that just to thin it out so it sprays smoother?
yeah, the quarts of Rustoleum is waaay too thick to spray the way it comes, the label says to thin up to 15% with acetone, if I did it again I'd go atleast 25% as 15% was still like spraying maple syrup! LoL

Ryan

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a pic, very happy with the results, I think I'll be stripping the sail panels and using the same product but high gloss on them...2 coats of Rustoleum "Stops Rust" black primer, per their reccomendations, and 2 coats of Rustoleum Satin Black thinned 15% with acetone....If anyone is going to try this, thin with about 25% acetone if using a HVLP trim gun with a 1.0 needle like I used....15% is still VERY thick to be spraying out of a 1.0 needle....

Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts