Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
the monoleafs with caltracks are alot more consistent, a must for a bracket car but ss spring have run guys down into the 9s-

could someone explain why guy don't run caltracks with ss springs?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
from what I can tell and have heard, I believe the caltracs depend on a certain amount of flexibility in the front and rear portions of the spring to function correctly, hence the mention of mono-leafs being used with them. SS springs are relatively stiff compared to most factory or replacement springs, so they would actually resist the actions of the caltracs during acceleration. basically, they would be counteracting the actions of each other.

this is my basic understanding. please correct me if Im wrong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
thats as much as i have got so far, but still, a ss spring would still wrap up alittle, its not like the front of the ss moves down(counter acting each other) so i dont see why they act upon each other
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
I've heard that when you launch with SS srpings, the rear of tha car raises up to plant the tire because the front segments of the SS spring are so stiff.  This is especially the case when you use a pinion snubber along with SS springs.  When you launch with caltracs, the rotation of the rearend causes the transfer bar to move forward, which rotates the pivot plate at the front spring hanger to pivot down and push the front of the spring down.  This is why they work well with a softer spring.  It also helps with weight transfer.

So in essence, one type pushes the back end of the car up to plant the tires (SS springs) and one type squats the car to plant the tires (caltracs).  This what I've gathered from a bunch of different sources.  I've also read that calvert's monos don't last that long on a dialy driver.  Thats why I decided to try to build a pair of knockoffs with some scrap steel I had laying around.  We'll see how good they work.  I'm just using stock replacement springs.   

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
yes but ss springs are stiff in the front so they wont rap up, caltracks push the spring fronts down- thus pushing the car up and keeping the front of the spring from raising like with softer springs, thus doing the exact same thing as with a pinion snubber, not letting the axle twist-

not trying to argue just understand- i dont believe that the caltracks push the car down, just the front of the spring, every action has an opposite reaction, middle of main leaf gos down, the front eye gos up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
I always heard that caltracs make the car squat on launch. Maybe someone who actually runs them will chime in and write how their car reacts. Now ya got me curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
mopowers said:
I always heard that caltracs make the car squat on launch.  Maybe someone who actually runs them will chime in and write how their car reacts.  Now ya got me curious.
A car with Cal Tracs should not squat. It should rise about 1-2", 2" being the most you would want, anymore than that and you might as well keep the SS springs.

In answer to the original poster, let me simplify. Cal Tracs are only better than SS springs if you are having traction issues with the SS's. If you're car has SS's and it dead hooks everytime, repeats the 60 ft times, and your ET's are consistant, then no, the Cal's wont be a help. If on the other hand you find that on diff tracks, or in cetain weather you have intermitant traction woes, then it probably will help cuz you have a lot of adjustment that you dont have with the SS's, that you should be able to overcome the problem.

Now if you're wanting to go fast on a little tire, then Cal Tracs would be a good choice, a long with an adjustable shock. Not an "expert", but have been running them a long time, on several cars. I like'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
StrokerPost said:
mopowers said:
I always heard that caltracs make the car squat on launch. Maybe someone who actually runs them will chime in and write how their car reacts. Now ya got me curious.
Now if you're wanting to go fast on a little tire, then Cal Tracs would be a good choice, a long with an adjustable shock. Not an "expert", but have been running them a long time, on several cars. I like'em.
What do you consider fast, and what do you consider little? I'm wanting low 11's high 10's out of my Duster on a 10.5 tire for comparisons sake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Lars said:
StrokerPost said:
mopowers said:
I always heard that caltracs make the car squat on launch.  Maybe someone who actually runs them will chime in and write how their car reacts.  Now ya got me curious.
Now if you're wanting to go fast on a little tire, then Cal Tracs would be a good choice, a long with an adjustable shock. Not an "expert", but have been running them a long time, on several cars. I like'em.
What do you consider fast, and what do you consider little? I'm wanting low 11's high 10's out of my Duster on a 10.5 tire for comparisons sake.
Thats a question that eveyone will have differring opinions on, but my own thoughts here are mid 10's with a 28" tire or smaller in a car weighing 3200 lbs or more, but every car has its own characteristics. The car and ET's you are shooting for should be very attainable with the SS's and an adjustable shock, BUT, if you are starting out with nothing, I mean if you are still in the planning and buying mode, I would opt for the complete Cal Tracs set up from the get go. I've NEVER known anyone who wanted to go slower as time goes by ;D, always faster.

Here are some personal experiences. My Dart, when running low 11's with a 28 x 11" tire @ 3260 lbs, AFTER switching to the Cal's ran exactly the same as it did with the SS set up, so I gained nothing for my efforts and $$, but I was getting ready for the stroker motor that came later. Now on my dad's BB Volare, running low 11's with SS's and a 31 x 13 tire @ 3600 lbs was TERRIBLY inconsistant. It would gain or lose as much as 6-7 hundredths just on the 60 ft from one run to another. It was so bad that my dad was ready to quit cuz he thought it was him. We put on the Cals, monos, and Rancho shocks and now its AWESOME. First 3 passes with them were 11.37, 11.37, 11.37. Made a shock adjustment and added some pre load to the right bar to straighten it out some and went 11. 34, 11.34, 11.34 like it was on a wire. 8) The initial cost is more, but it'll likely be worth it when you start with the upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
cool-

8)

well that settles it-

ss springs- get traction for cheap over stock springs
ss springs and caltracks- to make it hook much better and much more consistent if ss springs alone are not doing enough
monoleaf springs and caltracks- the best

so ss springs and caltracks don't work against each other, looks like when my rear gos in, ill be keeping my ss springs and if its not consistent enough or not hook well enough then ill add caltracks (custom of course to say money)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
StrokerPost said:
Lars said:
StrokerPost said:
mopowers said:
I always heard that caltracs make the car squat on launch. Maybe someone who actually runs them will chime in and write how their car reacts. Now ya got me curious.
Now if you're wanting to go fast on a little tire, then Cal Tracs would be a good choice, a long with an adjustable shock. Not an "expert", but have been running them a long time, on several cars. I like'em.
What do you consider fast, and what do you consider little? I'm wanting low 11's high 10's out of my Duster on a 10.5 tire for comparisons sake.
Thats a question that eveyone will have differring opinions on, but my own thoughts here are mid 10's with a 28" tire or smaller in a car weighing 3200 lbs or more, but every car has its own characteristics. The car and ET's you are shooting for should be very attainable with the SS's and an adjustable shock, BUT, if you are starting out with nothing, I mean if you are still in the planning and buying mode, I would opt for the complete Cal Tracs set up from the get go. I've NEVER known anyone who wanted to go slower as time goes by ;D, always faster.

Here are some personal experiences. My Dart, when running low 11's with a 28 x 11" tire @ 3260 lbs, AFTER switching to the Cal's ran exactly the same as it did with the SS set up, so I gained nothing for my efforts and $$, but I was getting ready for the stroker motor that came later. Now on my dad's BB Volare, running low 11's with SS's and a 31 x 13 tire @ 3600 lbs was TERRIBLY inconsistant. It would gain or lose as much as 6-7 hundredths just on the 60 ft from one run to another. It was so bad that my dad was ready to quit cuz he thought it was him. We put on the Cals, monos, and Rancho shocks and now its AWESOME. First 3 passes with them were 11.37, 11.37, 11.37. Made a shock adjustment and added some pre load to the right bar to straighten it out some and went 11. 34, 11.34, 11.34 like it was on a wire. 8) The initial cost is more, but it'll likely be worth it when you start with the upgrades.
Yeah, I'll be starting from scratch. The 440/383 is still sitting on the floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
well that settles it-

ss springs- get traction for cheap over stock springs
ss springs and caltracks- to make it hook much better and much more consistent if ss springs alone are not doing enough
monoleaf springs and caltracks- the best

so ss springs and caltracks don't work against each other, looks like when my rear gos in, ill be keeping my ss springs and if its not consistent enough or not hook well enough then ill add caltracks (custom of course to say money)
If you get Cal Tracs to work with SS springs you'll be the first one I've ever heard of that did it. The SS's are WAY to stiff to use with the Cals. If you dont want to buy the monos your next best bet would be a pair of factory springs, prefferably some 6 cyl springs, that is straight from the guys at Calvert Racing. If you get to stiff a spring the car will "bunny hop" off the line. The Cals I have on my car came off a Super Stock car that has SS springs. After a full year of tryin to get it to work he gave up on it. Good luck with your project.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6 Posts
Is Caltracs worth the money? Not sure. I had no experience.
I don't know if this is a good investment or not. Many people understand that any investment, and in particular, investment in cryptocurrencies, is a risky business, and not only because of their volatility.
It will be difficult for an unprepared person to find and stay in this market. Guys, do you think it is worth investing in cryptocurrency? Is cryptocurrency (link removed by moderator) worth the money?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
more than a little off topic Duduil.
borderline spam.

please don't make these types of posts a habit. the mods here have a bad temper and a quick trigger finger.

fair warning.

(warning not heeded. youre outta here)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top