Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a MP master cylinder and the MP 4-2 bolt adapter. Apparently the master cylinder is set too far back and the pushrod is a little too long, can I cut it down with no ill affects? I'am concerned since this is a pretty important part

·
Registered
117 Posts
Any way to adjust it? How about spacing the master out more. I don't see a problem shorting the rod as long as it ends up looking like it did before you started, just a little shorter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have an adjustable rod, but the ball end doesn't properly fit into the master cylinder, the ball part of it is too big, and where it necks down at, the rod actually bent (used it for a little while). I wanted to cut the bent part off and use it as is. I figure that's safer then spacing out the master. Seems to me the load on the studs might break if I space it out and I'd lose my brakes entirely.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You must have a heavy foot, ha. I've done both, spaced them out and cut down the rod, in the past. Just don't overheat the rod whatever you do to it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tell me about it. I've had more problems with MP parts then I care to remember.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DartKnight said:
Lars said:
Tell me about it. I've had more problems with MP parts then I care to remember.
I've heard bad things about their brake products in particular.... :p
Yeah, I've never been able to get the brakes right on my 70. I've been suspecting the master cylinder for a while, I ordered a new one like the one I put on my 73. Hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had to cut and shorten my pushrod twice when I went to a new aluminum master cylinder. Just remember to make sure that the little rubber ring is in the master cylinder that holds the pushrod in. VERY IMPORTANT!

G

·
You need the little round end part of the pushrod. That matches the cupped surface in the back of the master cylinder. Also, the part that is machined out just behind the cupped part is where the rubber bushing is captured on the pushrod. Does that make sense? I think you can section the pushrod in the middle and install a threaded sleeve on one end and thread the other end, to make your own adjustable pushrod. Saw e-berg do that for a mag article once...

If you need another stock pushrod, I have them for sale, pm me here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Sixpack, but I ordered a new MC for an 85 fith ave like I put on my 73, and everything lined up right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.