Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hood hinges are junk, and so is my hood. It would make my life a lot easier to buy a lift off hood (since I have only about $650 to get my 70 back on the road). Is there anyway to get a lift off on and off by oneself (since I'm usually wrenching by myself)?

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ususally put my hands in my hemi scoop and lift! It isn't that heavy, I'm sure you could find a way w/o a scoop as well.

Drew

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to buy a sixpack lift off from AAR. The scoop is strong enough? How much do the hoods usually weigh?

G

·
i would get a bolt on fiberglass hood and some hinges for $20 at the boneyard.it will be a hassle having to deal with a lift-off hood all the time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought some hood hinges already and they weren't any better then what I had (they came off a low milage car i was told, and they look good). Problem is when I shut the hood, the hinges bow out and rub on my fenders, my 73 and 74 don't do this though, it's weird. I tried a couple of things to get the slack out of them but it didn't work. Since I'm in the middle of painting my engine bay I don't want all the new paint getting scratched off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the AAR six pack hood on my Dart. I lift it at the rear and by the scoop and there have been no problems. Unless the wind is blowing!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know how the front hood pins are setup, but how did you guys do the rear?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine is a lift off!! I don't have a good picture of the hood pins. I have 4 pins across the front and 1 in each rear corner.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nd2stopfastr said:
a pulley, a tree and a few lengths of rope. =]
I usually forget and leaf my tree at home. :-\

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lars said:
My hood hinges are junk, and so is my hood. It would make my life a lot easier to buy a lift off hood (since I have only about $650 to get my 70 back on the road). Is there anyway to get a lift off on and off by oneself (since I'm usually wrenching by myself)?

Thanks
I have a set of hood hinges in good shape(complete) if you are interested.
Mike

·
Registered
392 Posts
My wife is the one who always helps me take off steel hoods when needed. She strongly recommends fiberglass or carbon fiber hoods ;D ;D

mike.

·
Registered
311 Posts
pin ons suck! My buddy has a pin on trunk lid for his roadchicken and he had it off while putting fuel in his cell at the gas station. Big gust of wind came along and picked the lid off the ground and flung it across the parking lot doh

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dumb luck prevails my friends! I got a couple of my out-of-town friends to help me bolt on my stock bent hood, and everything clears! I had disabled the springs on the stock hinges, and for some reason once they are bolted to the hood (was hard to do for some reason) all the slop comes out so that the hinges don't rub on the fenders anymore. I'm still going to get a fiberglass hood later on, it'll just be a bolt on instead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to have to do it ALL THE TIME...........in High School thought it was cool to have a lift off hood car

30 years later I think it would be a pain in the A** to have to take the hood off to check the oil

The scoop was cracked where it had been lifted off and the corners were chewed up from wher they lifted it by tilting it back on the corners before I got the car

Yes it can be done, but try oiling the hinges and using a stock hood.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts