Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I had to take my doors off on my Jeep recently to fix the pins (they had rusted out -.-;; ) and now i'm finding it quite the pain in the $%& to get them rehung correctly.

The doors are the style in which the hinge lays flat against the door, and there are 6 Torx bolts (3 top 3 bottom) that go through the hinge to the door.

Now, I have the door on at least, and that was only after borrowing my roomate to hold the door for me, and it still seemed like a huge ordeal to even get the thing mounted, much less lined up correctly. Now, I need to raise the front of the door up about 1/3-1/2 of an inch (yes, it's that far off) to get the body line to line up.

So, to you guys who've done this a million times, is there such thing as an easy way? Additionally, is there a way to make this a 1-person job?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well it's probley too late now but if you mark the hinges before you take the door off it makes it easyier. Just bolt it on, see where if fits then loosen the bolts a bit and move it up or down or wherever it has to go. Its just alot of messing around to get it right. And as far as a one man job, I usually just set the door on my knee for support, hold the top with one hand and put the bolts in with the other.

·
Registered
311 Posts
doh! without one of those dollys made to hold doors its a real pain by yourself. You are going to need another person to help or it'll take all year, least thats been my experience. For future reference, drill some little 1/8 inch holes through the hinge flange into the body before you disassemble anything then you can use those holes to line everything back up when it comes time to reassemble. Good luck!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't have a clue on jeeps but...................GO GATORS. ;D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MVRCorp said:
GO GATORS. ;D
Hell yeah!

As for the doors, in retrospect, i really wish i would've marked them, because you're right, that would've made this about 10 times easier >_>

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I went to the later style ventless window doors on my Dart, I ran into the same problem. After messing around with the fitment for hours, I finally just shimmed them a bit with some washers; not the best way to do it, but problem solved. ;) It's only temporary until I rip all of the panels off of the car, anyway.

·
Registered
137 Posts
when i do it myself i use a floor jack under the door to help tweek it other than that another trick is only tighten one bolt on the top and one on the bottom till you get it right and the others leave them snug but just enough so you can manipulate them around. when you get it close mark the hinges so if you go astray doing fine tuning you have a place to go back to and try again. it takes practice but after awhile you will become a good door aligner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts