Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have some problems with my rear suspension. If some of you remember, I had to slot the driver's side front eye mounting hole and relocate it to bring everything back into line. The original location was based off of the factory mount, but for some reason it was off.

So now I have the springs back in line, everything is squared up nicely. Measured the springs from the perch locating pins to the torsion bar mounts and everything looks real good.

Problem is now, that since the hole was slotted the Caltrac bracket is not squarely in the box. There is not much room when it is square, so now I have a pinch going on in there... Not really to sure what to do about it. I think the problem is the washers/spacers that are on each side, are causing the bind. I think they are to keep everything centered in the box. If I was not using the Caltracs, I would be set to jet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bOb shingler said:
would taking a washer out help? would removing the box and cutting and welding it wider help?
I am going to try removing one of the washers/spacers. I don't really know how important they are, considering if I was just running SS springs or something, they would just have extra space on each side of the eye bushing. The fact that the rear end, and back of the springs are mounted rigid, should keep the front eyes from moving around.

I am not sure what exactly the problem is with the car... The pass side is fine, and I mounted the box the same way, leaving the outside of the frame rail. Something is geometrically off on the car, but I am not sure what that is... and it has me slightly worried. I have gotten the rear end positioned so it is square with the torsion bar mounts, so I think I will be in good shape once I figure my way out of this problem...

I could tear the box out of the driver's side, but man that would be a hassle.
 
G

·
Dont know if it helps... I have seen several mopars where the rear end is out from the factory. The one's i had problems with was mostly dusters. The driver side of the rear end was about 3/16 of a inch too far forward. A friend of mine drag races a 64 plymouth wagon with a 440/727 and dana. It was out on the driver side also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have figured something out with all of this, at least partially. I will update in a few days once I talk to Calvert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crazy68Dart said:
I have figured something out with all of this, at least partially.  I will update in a few days once I talk to Calvert.
The interference problem seems to have been partially if not totally related to a problem with one of the two front brackets for the Caltrac system. I did some measuring and found it not to be square the whole way around on the inside dimension. This was causing it to bind, to the point of where I had to tap the steel sleeve through the front eye bushing.

After relaying this to Calvert, they sent me a new one out the same day. Talk about customer service. These guys run a good shop. 0/

Anyway, I tried the new bracket, and the interference with the spring is gone. So that problem is solved. I have yet to put it all back together mounted in the relocation boxes, but I think this will resolve my problem completely.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top