Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any pics of jigs for assembling/welding narrowed rearend housings? I have equipment to build whatever i need for the jig, i just dont know where to start. I'm also thinking about welding on a back brace to the rear while i'm at it......does the jig need to be made differently when a back brace is going to be installed? All this will be for an 8 3/4. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
you will need a metal lath. jump in th ehotrod and head on down to the local metal supplier. you will need a length a thick wall tubing, like 3/4" stuff. next you need solid bar stock that's bigger then the carrier bearing bore and another piece that's bigger then the axle bearing bore. lath them down untill they area nice snug fit for each. then do the same for the holes to slide the heavy wall tubing in. ;D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not sure i follow you bob, any pics by chance? How do i check to make sure the axles flanges are parallel before i weld them on? Also, if i weld on a back brace, is a special jig needed to keep the housing from warping up or can i just do stitch welds, moving around alot to keep heat from building up in one spot? tnku

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aaahhhhh ok, you cut the housing, slap the new hubs on, then run that bar through everything and use the correct size hub locaters and tighten everything down. How does that kit work for more then one rear though when the length of the bar isnt adjustable? How do you use it on rear housings that are different widths is what i'm asking. Thanks for the link valiant65 :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
All brackets and rear braces should be welded on before the ends are installed, The rod in the kit keeps everything straight, The pucks all slip on the rod, and the outside of the pucks are machined to different sizes that fit different axle bearing sizes and center section bearing sizes. The puck bolts into the center section and the other pucks fit where the axle bearing goes and you can vise grip them on to weld.

SIKPUP ;D

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
if you have a lathe as bob said, you can make it. great. if you cant make it, i dont think its worth buying one. for the price of the jig, you can have 2 or 3 housings narrowed by a shop. my bud made one, i think he used 1.5" cylinder stock. it worked great. i used it for my dana and he used it for 2 danas of his own. the price he paid for the material, was covered by the first housing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have never used a jig such as this before, but assuming that the axle tubes are square and the hub housings are square why not use a one inch center aligning bar and the cones from a brake lathe. Brake lathes come with a standard one inch center and parts are available over the counter. Brake lathes measure down to the thousandth of an inch true and that should be good enough I would think. Get the right length of steel bar and thread it to accept the locking collar. You could thread as much of the bar as you need for various lengths of rearends. The centering hole would only have to be drilled once and then you could probably use a centering cone for that as well instead of purpose built pucks.Those centering pucks that they offer have to be at least one or two thou smaller than the bearing that would go in the housing end normally or else you'd never get the pucks back out after using them.
Just a thought....
Daryl

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i tore apart a c body housing i had laying around today and i'm going to order all the parts i need tommorow. I'll build the jig sometime next week hopefully, i'll let ya'll know how it turns out. Thanks again tnku

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.