Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 4 bolts that hold the k-frame on a 72 dart.they are slightly larger than 1 inch and i want to buy the necessary socket to remove them, i thought they were 1 1/8" but I'm not sure.I'm trying to eliminate going to the store twice tomorrow and i'm not at the car to measure them. thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The head is 1-1/16". It's actually a 5/8" course thread bolt with an oversize 3/4" shoulder. Take care of them - they aren't made by anyone and good used ones are $20 a piece :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I tried totally auto and r/t specialties - both told me good, used condition ones are running $20 each...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damn, time for a k-frame bolt "blow out sale" at $3 each. :D
I probably threw away 20 or 30 of them on my last scrap run in July.

Mark.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bill_Reilly said:
The head is 1-1/16". It's actually a 5/8" course thread bolt with an oversize 3/4" shoulder. Take care of them - they aren't made by anyone and good used ones are $20 a piece  :eek:
How long are they? It's been quite a while since I pulled a K-frame but aren't the welded nuts (inside the rails) open-ended, so extra length can be used? Someone must make a Gr. 5 or 8 bolt even if it's longer than needed...

Also, is there something critical about the 3/4" shoulder? Could an appropriately sized flat washer be used instead? The idea of paying $20 each for used bolts just gripes me  doh
???
-Charles

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bill_Reilly said:
Yea, I tried totally auto and r/t specialties - both told me good, used condition ones are running $20 each...
for that kind of $$ you oughta get a big wet kiss too!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I couldn't use my stock k bolts, I had a set of 7/8" aluminum spacers to drop the k member down to clear the headers. My stock bolts weren't long enough, so I headed to fastenal and used a nice set of socket head bolts that fit great. No problems yet.

Drew

·
Registered
164 Posts
The shoulder of the bolt serves two purposes. The above mentioned centering and it provides an area with no stress risers ("aka" threads) to make it less likely to shear in the event of a heavy impact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.