Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i had a clearer idea on this than i did previously.
a few questions

what are the differences on the 73 and up a-body k members other than the motor mounts?

·
Registered
283 Posts
early years use a sandwhich style mounts as later use a saddle type.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The centerlink and pitman arm is different on the 73&up which means you also need a 73&up pitman arm....Dont ask how I know...

Ryan

PS Yes the sway bar does go through the K-frame on the 73 style also...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there any other benefit to using the 73 and newer K frame other than the motor mounts? I plan to use elephant ears, so mounts will not be an issue.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The earlier idler arms will NOT work on a 73 K-frame...They are bigger where they mount onto the k..I tried that combo and after buying a brand new 72 idler and pitman arm I had to return them...

Ryan

·
Registered
266 Posts
Junior said:
Is there any other benefit to using the 73 and newer K frame other than the motor mounts? I plan to use elephant ears, so mounts will not be an issue.
Couldn't you use any A-body K-frame such as a \6 if you are not using the mounts? And wouldn't you want to cut the mounts off? Someone chime in if you know the answer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at your "Make your own DC-K Frame" and was noticing the measurements. About 15 years ago I copied a DC K-Frame for my Barracuda and I thought it was 1 inch on the Driver's Side and 3/4 inch on the Passenger Side, but I can't remember for sure. How sure are you that your measurements are correct? I had an article from way back on this and since my last move, I cannot seem to find it or my personal notes to verify. o[

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
jeh,
I was the one who wrote BOTH articles. The problem was that the original numbers were based on an original DC k-member which was WRONG. The one I borrowed to take the measurements was a poorly constructed pile of poop. The current numbers provide a better fit, but as I stated in the original Chrysler Power article and the article here is to trial fit before finish welding. But, you are correct that the other numbers were what was originally published.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In case anyone wants to put a 440 in their A-body (I had a 1967 Barracuda) without cutting the inner fenders for headers and/or getting a rare and extremely expensive original exhaust manifold, a 1967 1968 style B-Body log exhaust manifold did fit on the Driver's Side except if you have column shift (it must be console shift). My column also had a short sleeve/tube coming through the firewall, so if the sleeve/tube is the longer one, this exhaust manifold won't work either. The steering column shaft had about a 1/2 inch clearance from the manifold. On the passenger side, I ran a C-Body Hi-Po manifold and it had about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance from the shock tower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts