Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a step by step instructions I can read up on to remove the k-frame complete so I can rebuild and re-install complete?

G

·
I would guess its in the shop manual for the car. You don't really need to drop the K frame to rebuild the suspension....it all bolts on.

Is the engine / trans currently in or out of the car? Do you plan on removing the engine / trans with the K frame? steps will depend on what is currently connected to the K frame.

I like to remove the engine and trans as one unit with the K frame, down thru the bottom of the car. Give us some more detail on what you want to do....

G

·
OK...its pretty straight forward:  (from memory....so double check me on this)
1)  lift up front end by the frame rails
2)  remove front wheels
3) release the preload on the T bar adjusters a LCA (both sides)
4) remove clips, and remove T bars (if possible - if not, see notes)
5) remove steering coupler pin and push back coupler (may have to pull column up slightly from inside the car)
6) assuming a front disk car....remove brake rotors.  Then disconnect the LBJ / knuckle at the 2 bolts, through the spindle.
The LBJ will stay attached to the LCAs and the spindle will stay with the UCA on the car. (same operation on both sides)
7) support the K frame....and turn out the 4 large K frame retaining bolts., drop K frame out of the way.

Note: make sure the steering box doenst' hang up on the couple. Also...if the T bars were loose, but didn't come off through the tranny crossmember spools...you
can remove them as the K member comes off. this is helpful if they are reall stuck in the LCA sockets.

Hope this helps..
mike

·
Registered
792 Posts
No, that pretty much sounds like all it is. Pretty easy. Hardest part will be actually getting the eccentric bolts out so you can pull the upper arms. They can be a pain.

G

·
that won't be necessary if you break the spindle at the 2 LBJ bolts. the UCAs / calipers (if disk) will stay with the car. No need to brake the fluid lines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
gasman, you can have a look at my CarDomain site and check out the photos of the "K" Frame removal from my 66. It may or may not help you, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. As bbscamp mentioned, if you have problems removing the torsion bars, just take a good sized hammer and tap forward on the back of the K Member after it is unbolted, alternating from side to side, and the K Member will actually come off the torsion bars. After that they are a snap to remove from the rear mount. Hope this helps.

Sid
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2115668

1 - 6 of 6 Posts