Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on being somewhere in the neighborhood of 600hp when in the distant future i get the demon ready for battle.Mostly street use.I want to mini-tub move springs inboard or delete them and install a ladder suspension.Question is,should i go wiith something like this
http://chassisengineering.com/shopDetails.asp?CatId=10&SubCatId=28&ProductId=1393 There seems to be so many combos out there.I'm open to many ideas.Pics would be even better.Can i ditch the leaf springs all together with the above set up?I see some guys running split monos w/caltracs,4 link(don't want to back half)etc.etc.Probably won't see slicks.(probably).From the info i gathered in the tech section it looks like i'm going to be able to fit about 12 1/2 in of meat back there.I feel this will suffice.Do you?What's everybody elese running?Thanks

carl
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
my current plan is to go dana and caltracs but mostly because I want to keep the car as "returnable to stock" as is possible. Ive heard nothing but good things about the cals. Im also thinking its probably one of the more inexpensive directions to go both in labor (for a non-welder) and $$ for a very effective setup.
 
G

·
I've had ladders/coil overs in my car for a few years now and it's fine.  You'd probably spill your chianti if you were a tightwad, but I don't let those people in the car.  %)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ciscodog said:
I've had ladders/coil overs in my car for a few years now and it's fine.  You'd probably spill your chianti if you were a tightwad, but I don't let those people in the car.   %)
lol.Ain't try'n to build a caddy.Engine is getting a front plate too.It can rattle my teeth out for all i care.I'll just gum my food.

car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
my valiant has the exact style set up you showed form .chassiengineering...but that  was because i wnated to go lower and still have a decnt suspension[no drop,blocks ]....but if you are keeping it stock or higher ride height.....at that power ..stick with leaf springs and cal tracs....a lot less hasstle to install...and cheaper....plus very effective.......i also have a 4-link in the coronet but it's going to be a 7 second car and it  sit's 2in form the ground..........NOTE: the vintage DIRECT CONNECTION fender cover.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SIKPUP said:
Carl,

    Get a S/W catalog,   http://www.swracecars.com/   They are 2 miles from my house, we can work out no shipping !

                                                                  SIKPUP ;D
tried to get catalog.Would not let me get one online.Will have to call them i guess to get a catalog.Thanks Mike!It seems everything has a subframe along with it.I've never had to deal with installing a 4 link or ladder bar get up but it seems to me if it has a subframe than the car will have to be back halved to make way for all the goodies.Am i barking up the right tree?All the subframes were listed for fords and chebbies.I didn't see any mopar items.I'm guessing i can get a 4 link without a subframe?Pros and cons?Should i just back half?Still kind of fuzzy on installation aspect of it.

carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fasttcars said:
my valiant has the exact style set up you showed form .chassiengineering...but that  was because i wnated to go lower and still have a decnt suspension[no drop,blocks ]....but if you are keeping it stock or higher ride height.....at that power ..stick with leaf springs and cal tracs....a lot less hasstle to install...and cheaper....plus very effective.......i also have a 4-link in the coronet but it's going to be a 7 second car and it  sit's 2in form the ground..........NOTE: the vintage DIRECT CONNECTION fender cover.....
I'm not worried about a lower ride height as long as it isn't stupid look'n.I kind of like low look.But i'm very flexible.How bout that fender cover :).I'm not very good with seeing things in my head.I'm more of a hands on person.Helps if i see it.Got any good pics?If not ,don't sweat it.THanks fasttcars.

carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
well for the valiant it has ladder bars and it's not backhalfed the leaf springs were taken out and the ladder bars welded in to housing.. shock mount welded to top stock frame rail,and front mount welded to stock frame rail......the nice thing about the mopar is that their is a factory frame rail ...basically the same that it would be if it was back halfed.....just with backhalfing you can get a lot more tire in their and set up ride height to however you want.[but then you also have to re metal the hole back section also,tin,or aluminum].....the pic's are the 4-link in the coronet....full frame car...but the back half section is essentially the same.....but  for 600hp the  cal track suspension is the simplest;cheapest,and will work awesome.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SIKPUP said:
Carl,  everything you need piece by piece is in the catalog.    Online isn't everything they have...

                                                            SIKPUP ;D
That's what i kinda figured.Didn't think they would limit themselves in that manner.Guess online they are appealing to the masses as usual.Thanks again.

carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fasttcars said:
well for the valiant it has ladder bars and it's not backhalfed the leaf springs were taken out and the ladder bars welded in to housing.. shock mount welded to top stock frame rail,and front mount welded to stock frame rail......the nice thing about the mopar is that their is a factory frame rail ...basically the same that it would be if it was back halfed.....just with backhalfing you can get a lot more tire in their and set up ride height to however you want.[but then you also have to re metal the hole back section also,tin,or aluminum].....the pic's are the 4-link in the coronet....full frame car...but the back half section is essentially the same.....but  for 600hp the  cal track suspension is the simplest;cheapest,and will work awesome.....
Looks good.Thanks for the pics

carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Well you dont NEED ladder bars to handle a 600hp engine for sure. Caltracs and thier monos work very well. I have had them on a couple of Mopars and they worked great. I currently have them on a 68 Camaro that runs in the 9's with no issues at all. If you want to go with ladders I suggest using a coil over and ditch the springs all together. If you have good fabrication skills you can handle the job. Look at Chis Alstons website for some install info to decide if it is something you can do or not. As for what bars to use I really like the RJ Racecars stuff mysefl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
B1Valiant said:
Well you dont NEED ladder bars to handle a 600hp engine for sure. Caltracs and thier monos work very well. I have had them on a couple of Mopars and they worked great. I currently have them on a 68 Camaro that runs in the 9's with no issues at all. If you want to go with ladders I suggest using a coil over and ditch the springs all together. If you have good fabrication skills you can handle the job. Look at Chis Alstons website for some install info to decide if it is something you can do or not. As for what bars to use I really like the RJ Racecars stuff mysefl.   
Yeah,i'm also looking into the future.You know how the speed bug gets you.One minute your happy next minute you want to go faster.I'm not picasso but i do believe i can handle the fab part with a little guidance.If i go ladder bars i definitely want to ditch the springs.It'll definitely save me from relocation.I guess i'll keep plugg'n away at it.Thanks

carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Well the Valiant is minitubbed and has ladder bars. The RJ racecar double adjustables as well as Strange DA shcosk with 120lb springs,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a good combo.After pricing split leafs and cal tracs,it seems it's going to cost me about the same money as ladders.I'll probably put the extra fab time into the ladders.Plus it gives me a little more to learn.I don't always like going the easy route.Guess i better learn how to save some more money :-\.

carl
 
G

·
Our Stocker Runs Caltracks and split leafs and runs hard. I have the exact set up your looking at for my super stock dart I am building. I used to live by S&W and I felt like the customer service with Chassis was better thats why I went with them. Id call John Calvert they are cheap and put most stockers on the rear bumper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
100% stock frame rails. The rear tires in the pic are Hooseier QT DOT Pros that are 28x14.50. I also run a 28x10.50 slick or a 295/65 Drag radial, depending on my mood 8)
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top