Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres my dilema. just had ladder bars and coil over shocks put on my dart. It drives straight and launches ok. i think my pinion angle is right. I have made 4 passes and broke my tailshaft twice. Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also make sure everything is aligned, from the motor to the rear. I've got ladders/coils too and have broken a couple. I think I have a bent tailshaft in the trans, so I swapped trannys and we'll see if it happens again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i thought that leaf spring angle was 2 or 3 down. Mine is actually about 4 at the third member ceneterline, and 6and a half at the driveline center, hence making a 2 and a half angle, but it is up not down. My yoke on my shaft bottoms out, then it comes out about an inch or so back to the rear axle.Could the angle of my engine to frame be the problem?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pionion angle on a ladder bar car should be down 1.5-2.0 degrees or less depending on the rod ends you have installed on them.  Basicly, the crankshaft (or trans) centerline needs to be paralell with the pinion centerline in the rear end under load.  This means that when the car is accelerating, that the pinion centerline needs to be paralell with the engine/trans centerline, or "0".  This is what everyone is trying to acheive with "pinion angle".  The only reason it's not set at 0 while the car is sitting still is because the pinion tries to climb up the ring gear while under load.  Slop in the rear suspension will allow it to climb to "x" degrees depending on the rigidness of the suspension.  Leaf spring cars suffer from serious spring wrap, hence the 6 degree rule of thumb on those cars.  The ladder bars that you have now are a ton more rigid.  Sounds like you might need to make it 2 to 2.5 degrees down, instead of up.

If the yoke is bottoming out on the tailshaft while the suspension travels upward......that's not good.......but I'm not too sure of what you were trying to say in your last post about the slip yoke.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey tubbed440, thanks for the info, ive found that could be the problem on mine. Everything else is good. my driveshaft is backed out of the trans about an inch unloaded. I think its fine. Anyway, i sure appreciate u taking the time to help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts