Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm wanting to buy a pair of Summit wheel tubs, and I want the LARGE 40" tubs, but was curious if anyone knew whether they'd fit or not in the back of a '67 Dart. What do you all use, guys like Fastest Dodge or CiscoDog or Midnight Special, some of the guys WE know race all the time..... Should I use one of the smaller ones like the 36"???? Does rim size REALLY make a difference? I'm wanting to use between 10.5 - 15 width (haven't decided).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
     I like to use just has big a tire is I need, if 10" will get the job done thats what I want.         {O if 9" would do it I'd go with it.   remember in NHRA the A/SA and B/SA as well as the A/S and  B/S and they run low 10s, :police:        all them fast cars below them has to use 9" slicks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can get 14.5" from lip to rail if you just mini-tub it with the stock wells and relocated leafs. Sticking those big tubs in there, you are looking at a lot of welding. Just my thoughts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with widening the stock wells isn't width, it's height.  You can't run a 30x12" tire in there and set the car down over it w/o hitting.  You need a big square wheel well for a big square tire.  Make sense?

Now - as far as your question goes, I have the 38" tubs.  The distance you need to think about is not front to back, but up and down.  A 36" tub that is mounted to the back of the rocker will still have alot of room behind the tire.  Where it starts getting tight is on the top, especially on a car that squats on launch (ladders/4-link). On a leaf spring car, it probably won't sit really low so you shouldn't need to use a 40" tub.  If you plan on going to ladders or 4-link later on, go with a 38" or 40" tub.  Visually you really can't tell the difference.  Where you'll run into "issues" is when you start mounting things in the trunk.  The bigger the tub, the farther back it extends in your trunk.  That eats up the space on the sides where people like to mount dual batteries or nitrous bottles.  With my 36" tubs I'm not sure I could fit a 15lb bottle over there.  I have dual 10's now and with the lines and all it's a 'comfy' fit.

Hope that helps out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bentwheel43 said:
     I like to use just has big a tire is I need, if 10" will get the job done thats what I want.         {O if 9" would do it I'd go with it.   remember in NHRA the A/SA and B/SA as well as the A/S and  B/S and they run low 10s, :police:        all them fast cars below them has to use 9" slicks.
I agree w/ that, I understand that using WAY too big of a tire will eat up HP. I LOVE the look of them big ol' 15 in wide slicks though, NOTHING but tire and rear end cover, ya know!

1Dart440, I understand where you're coming on about A LOT of welding, but that's fine really! I don't mind, and got buddies to help me out with that!
Ciscodog, I'm glad you piped up, THANK YOU! So, you think that 38" would be ok? I don't need dual batteries (I HOPE), no nitrous, and just worry about putting in like a 20-24 gal fuel cell. I WOULD HOPE THAT'D FIT OK!? I am going to run the SS springs, no 4 link for me, so no, I don't need to worry about the tires hitting. I'd love to get some more info from you, maybe you could PM me some pics or more suggestions? I would sure appreciate it!
Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure - send me your questions and I'll try to help.

I think some people misunderstand the 36, 38 or 40" measurement on tubs. That's not the width - it's the length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts