Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late Big Ford rear disk ideas

It's time to buy a rear disk kit for the Dart. I have a Strange S60 and I had them install big Ford late model housing ends with 2.5" brake gap.

I'm lookin for a brake kit with an emergency brake (street car). Strange has a single piston 11" cheapo set with e - brake drum rotors for $385. They have a much nicer set with vented 11.35" rotor for $695 and its still only a single piston and e brake hardware is extra $$.

What do you run for your late big Ford rear disks?

Tom

·
Registered
828 Posts
Re: Late Big Ford rear disk ideas

If I have the same ends as you... I am running the Ford SVO kit.  I believe it uses the Explorer disc setup.  It was not all the pricey, I think in the 300 dollar range.

Just re-read your post. Mine is more than likely the el-cheapo kit you are referring to. It has the drum parking brake setup. I might upgrade in the future, but it seemed pretty pointless to spend the extra on the back brakes which do not do much of the braking anyway...

Andy

G

·

If you get too good of rear braking as compared to the front, you won't be able to balance it out, even with a proportioning valve. If your front brakes are super good, the bigger rears would probably be ok.

This is a precaution/other peoples' experience I ran into when I was disc brake researching for my 68 mustang....which has the same housing ends as you. Me: I stuck with 10x2/12 drums with the possibility of going to 11" drums. Of course the Mustang is more of what works than what would be sweet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm going to get the affordable set from Strange with the mini drum for the e brake. Running 15" rims limits me on selection also.

Tom

·
Registered
828 Posts

b569rr said:
I'm going to get the affordable set from Strange with the mini drum for the e brake. Running 15" rims limits me on selection also.

Tom
Oh I c, now it is the "affordable" set.... haha. Just messing with ya. Personally, I like the drum e-brake design.

·
Registered
64 Posts

that "affordable" set-up from strange IS the exploder svo kit....fyi...it's the same kit you get from jugs or suckit. **(*)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Crazy68Dart said:
b569rr said:

Tom
Oh I c, now it is the "affordable" set.... haha. Just messing with ya. Personally, I like the drum e-brake design.
Kinda like I'm being frugal instead of cheap. ;D

Thanks slingshot. I didn't know that.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's time to buy a rear disk kit for the Dart. I have a Strange S60 and I had them install big Ford late model housing ends with 2.5" brake gap.

I'm lookin for a brake kit with an emergency brake (street car). Strange has a single piston 11" cheapo set with e - brake drum rotors for $385. They have a much nicer set with vented 11.35" rotor for $695 and its still only a single piston and e brake hardware is extra $$.

What do you run for your late big Ford rear disks?

Tom
Good luck! Make sure to "buy new bollards" to double up on the protection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts