Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you wire up one of these late model alternators? This is on my '94 360 magnum i just picked up and i want to keep the serp belt setup, so i need to figure out how to wire this up. This is going into a 85 ram if it matters. Shown are all the wires that were connected to it. Thanks

--chad

·
Registered
792 Posts
Chad,

According to a diagram for a similar year Ram, wires 1 & 2 go to a powertrain control module and a fuse block off the run/start switch. I don't have any idea what that powertrain module is or does or how it would affect the wiring.

I have those two wires wired as field wires in my car, but I don't think that is entirely correct as I only see battery voltage at the back of the alt. On the bright side nothing has caught fire yet. ;D You're a parts/service guy, right? If you know what the module is or figure out how to wire it up right, please let me know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a parts guy for dodge, but not anymore. I'll see about calling the local rebuilder and see if he can help me. If those 2 wires go to the computer, i wonder if they are not needed in an older applications such as mine.

--chad

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i guess it gets wired up like an old style mopar alt. The 2 small terminals are field terminals, i think were you saw them going into the pcm is because i believe the pcm is also the regulator, but i was told i can use the stock same old regulator as used in the darts and what not. Obviously the battery hookup is the big terminal. That will make it real easy to wire in.

--chad

·
Registered
792 Posts
Oops, I forgot to mention that you had the groung and power right in your pic.

I thought those alt's were internally regulated. At least when I had mine tested to make sure it was good it came back with a "good" on the regulator part of the test. I bypassed my regulator because of that test.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from what i remember, i believe the 2 wires that you say go to the computer----the computer regulates the voltage instead of a seperate voltage regulator----this is from memory of course and im not positive. But once he asked my what i was using for the regulator, it occured to me thats why the wires go to the computer.

I guess i will hook it up the same as the old one as i was told and see if it charges properly. Someone else also to hook it up this way too, so we'll see i guess.

--chad

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sounds right. I guess I'll go put my regulator back in and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts