Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used these? I'm test fitting the ss springs and rear end and when I went to install the offset hanger bracket the welded nut on the hangers hits the frame. Did anyone else have this problem?. Should I cut the nut off and reweld on the other side (outboard) of the bracket? I don't want to cut a hole in the frame for the nut to sit in. It sounds dumb, but I have double checked left and right and their definitely on the proper side.  If this is the way they were designed, that is stupid, seeing as there is tons of room on the outboard side for the nut. I'm guessing I'll have to cut the nut off and weld it on the outboard side and run the bolt thorugh the opposite way if a bolt with a narrow head will fit between frame and bracket. Then install springs in hangers and install all at once as an assembly.  o[  **(*)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi,
I had the same problem installing my front hangers. I cut a hole in the frame to let the nut get into place. I'll probably have the brackets welded in later & the extra large hole covered with some angle iron or flat stock metal to reinforce everything. I was kinda disappointed with that setup also. But if you cut off the nut, then you will need a lot longer bolt ( good luck finding that ). And you'll still need to open up the hole in the frame for the larger diameter bolt.
Jim K

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks my64, it looks like I'll just have to cut a hole in the frame. I guess it's not that big of deal, was just expecting a bolt in job. I'll need to get the big bolts for the front hangers,the old ones are way too small - where did you get yours from?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Valiant,
I think it was either Jegs or Summit.I can't remember because I've bought'n so much stuff already from different places. But the bolt was included with the bracket I bought. I was pretty ----ed off when I had to cut open the frame . Seems they don't mention that part when you read the parts description. Well good luck on the install. By the way, I had to put the springs on the front brackets first & twist them into place. The bolts to long to do it later on
Jim K

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
yeah... you have to make a hole with enough slot to get it in there. the bolt is kind of hard to find. most of the lo po darts have 1/2" front spring eye bolts. you need a 5/8" fine thread bolt. i just chopped the nut off and welded a coarse nut on since i couldnt fint he 5/8 fine bolt.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll see if I can track down a couple 5/8 NF bolts. If not, I'll do what you did and weld a regular thread nut on. The parts of the rebuild I thought were going to be the easy ones are turning out to be the biggest pains in the butt! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just go to a farm implament dealer(John Deer or Case IH) or a good hard wear store they should have them. I get all of my bolts from the John Deer dealer here grade 8s and there cheaper than any where else. Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts