Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the jc whitney springs i have in my garage awaiting installation have the center bolt pin narrower than the hole in the mopar spring perches for when I narrow the 8 3/4. How can I fix this? Would it be okay to just put a bushing aroung the pin to make it a tight fit? THANKS!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
it's not that the pin is too small ,it's the hole in mopar spring perches are to big. get a piece of 3/8 steel pipe (buy the smallest size as you will only need the ends) the ends that are tapered measure 5/8 from each end and cut . tapped the spacers from the bottom of the perche and weld them from the top. (i also weld them from the bottom too.) then grind them flush with the bottom of perche and drill them out to 1/2 and your done perfect fit. ;)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't know what size hole you're dealing with, but when I put an older rear end in my '74 and did away with the rubber insulator I used a small stack of washers that fit perfect inside the hole. Put a c-clamp on the spring pack so you can remove the bolt without having them come apart when you remove it. (you may need a longer one to compensate for the washers)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas.. The pin on the spring is 1/2" and the hole in the perches a smidge more than 5/8. I think I'm going to weld in a pipe and drill it out to 1/2". I thought all those pins and hole were a universal size. Guess not... doh

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wouldn't say they were incorrect, just made so that the end user has some fudge room, so to speak. I found a couple of nuts that fit over the leaf spring center bolts and welded them on the "top" side of the perches (the side that will be against the tube when installed) and centered over the holes. The pins in the springs are plenty long enough to go thru the perches and up thru the nuts to center everything as it should. Was easier than trying to find a piece of pipe or bushing to fit the hole AND the bolt, or drilling after welding over the hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts