Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what tires to put behind my 451 & 4-speed. A-Body will have minitubs so probably 10 inch rims with 10.5 to 12 inch wide tires if I get the backspacing right. I plan to run ladder bars with leaf springs & housing floaters. Not sure about gear yet, probably 3.91-4.10 depending on tire diameter (my guess 28" max). Car will be street/strip with limited highway use, don't plan to drive in the snow  :p but I do need to drive 10 mi. of curving two-lane at 60 mph without wobbly sidewalls.
Tread life is not important but traction is.  0/ So... Radials or not? "DOT Slicks" or real street tires? Which brand, compound,... Mickeys, M&H, BFG Drag Radials, etc.  ???
Thanks for any hints.
-Charles

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did read through that thread. It mostly covers what size tires/wheels might fit, and it confirms what I've more or less settled on (15x10" rims should work and the budget and hp level probably don't justify more). But everyone's body, rear end, backspacing, rim width, etc. are different and the only way to tell for sure is to measure. So assume I will be using about a 10.5 tread tire.

What I'm looking for advice on is what kind of street legal tire to use. Radials vs. bias ply, ET Street, DOT Quicktime, wrinklewalls, etc.
-Charles

·
Registered
60 Posts
I plan to run a 15 X 10 wheel with 325 / 50 / 15 Drag radials on the Dart after tubbing the spring to the frame.

·
Registered
154 Posts
275/60/15 from Pepboys are a medium to soft compound which are great street traction. Have them on my Duster, Sons Mustang & Dart Sport

an IMCA N50X15 are a soft sticky street tread tire which work good too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've heard real good things about the MT drag radials, might look into those.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am either buying a roller with minitubs and the springs already moved into the rails, or if I end up buying a different car I'll move them. Is a 325/50-15 the same size as an N50-15? (12.5 inches section width?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts