Big Block Dart Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The low decks were pioneered in the early 80`s for prostock and comp dragster applications. At the time hemi blocks were drying up and heads were going for a premium (enter stg.5 conversion heads) . The blocks had the extra bosses furnace welded in so original gen II heads would fit . The prostock effort didn`t get that far unfortunately (see Charlie Maluke) But Dave Koffel and Wally Dyck held the A/Dragster records for years. The engine was / kind of high dollar to build and became obsolete when better big block heads came out (Zeeker / B1 / Indy ) .
Neat project motor , but will be a little $$$ because of all the custom stuff to be fabbed and then made to work, the kind of motor they would build for Engine Masters . If you`ve got access to a dyno for testing parts ....great. You do know the stg 5 heads are a bit of a compromise to fit the B/RB platform , right? In the end a set of Indy`s or your choice of big block heads might be less headaches .
A low block hemi will scream and make big power , but with today`s wedge heads will probably pale in comparison .
My $0.02
chryco
I have wally dycks low deck block heads and crank. Which made 850 hp. With a stock steel 383 off stroke crank. And 1966 fully ported and modified hemi aluminum heads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I dug out my B block and put the stage V head on to see what the pushrod clearance looked like. It's really not any different than it was on the RB block.

The marks on the block would cover the entire pushrod hole in the head. It would certainly not need to be clearanced that much just to adequately clear the pushrod. It looks like the pushrods will be riding high in the hole as well.

I'm going to have to make up some pushrods the correct length before I actually grind it but I don't see any problem.

Has anyone used the BRC main girdle system? It looks like it would give a lot more strength to the stock block.
Audio equipment Font Engineering Machine Metal

Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle Line Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Machine

just before NHRA switched to 500 cu in with no weight breaks, the low deck hemi actually held the PS speed record. I thought Hemi would have become a major factor with 500 cu in, but didn't happen. I really don't understand the point here much. In the original build ups fitting the 2 gen hemi heads tot eh B-block, the pushrods actuaaly went in to the water jackets and there had to be done some welding too. Perhaps the conversion heads are a little better in that sence, but still that situation is worse with the lower block. The RB requires clearancing too with hte conversion heads. However, the biggest problem I see with a boosted low deck hemi is, that why on earth would anyone want to build such an engine on a block that can barely stand around 800 hp in the long run? You can run in to problems with a naturally aspirated wedge!
Low deck can go to 1200 hp blown

21 - 25 of 25 Posts