Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When pressing in the new LCA bushing, is it best to install it on the pivot first, then install that unit into the arm, or do you press the bushing in the arm before you press the pivot in? Sorry for such a stupid question.

G

·
are you using rubber or poly?,poly's just push in the old cups and rubbers get the whole thing pressed in with new cups.i was going to put in the bushings in and then the shafts, that should be the way but i was'nt 100% sure either. did you have fun getting the old cups out? you seem to be about a week ahead of me on everything  santa2

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey stu,
I do plan on using rubber ones. I just ordered moogs from mancini. I didn't notice til after I ordered them, but my polyurethane bushing kit from energy suspension actually came with them. I didn't even know what they were just because they don't come with the inner and outer shells. Oh well, I've heard the rubber ones are better anyway. That old ones came out very easy actually. I just used a 2-jaw puller to press out the pivot. Then I welded an upsidedown bolt on to the outer shell and used the 2-jaw puller again to push it out. Then I used a ball peen hammer and a vise to stretch the inner shell enough to take it off the pivot. It was a paice of cake!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jim! I have a piece of pipe that will be perfect for pressing the in the bushing. But what can I use to push the pivot w/ bushing into the LCA? Don't I need to rig something up to press on the outer shell? Like a big socket or something.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks a lot Jim. BTW, I liked the ball peen hammer trick. Only way to go!

G

·
mopar stu said:
what specifically do you want a pic. of? I'll have some soon.
Well; being that I'm not familiar with machine shop techniques; I was wondering about the process of removal and installation of the bushings

G

·
you can buy tools to do it yourself,or just pay someone with a press.i have the tools to remove the stuff but plan on paying a guy with a press to do the installation of the bushings.if i had the garage space a press would be a good investment though.i will send you pics. of the whole process soon.

G

·
mopar stu said:
you can buy tools to do it yourself,or just pay someone with a press.i have the tools to remove the stuff but plan on paying a guy with a press to do the installation of the bushings.if i had the garage space a press would be a good investment though.i will send you pics. of the whole process soon.
Cool; thanks Stu :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm going there in a day or two as soon as the kit gets in. I bought the full set of tools for the job, sockets and all and already have the press in the shop. Already did one and remember what a job it was so i bit the bullet and bought the tools. I'm a tool freak anyway so i don't mind. $169 total. I'll let you know how it goes for me. Don't the parts stores loan out the specialty tools like this or rent them?

·
Registered
124 Posts
This must be the weekend for front end work...

I just my bushig liners out with the heat wrench boom[] and now my pivots are too big for the inside demension of my new bushings. The outer demension is right (will fit into the control arm), but the pivot shaft won't fit the inside of the bushing. Help! Am I missing something, or did NAPA sell me the wrong part? **(*)

Thanks for your help.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts