Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few requests for pics of the '73 and up LCA's with sway bars including myself. Now that I have a pair here is what they look like. I cleaned up the factory welds and while the welding machine was out, boxed in the LCA's with 2" x .125". If you would like to modify your LCA's with sway bar tabs let me know and I can measure everything out. A piece of angle would do the trick.  We're here to help each other. Jim lusk sold me these fine examples.  ;D

Tom

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Its funny you should post these Tom. Thats actually tonight's project at my house. Is boxing them in more for handling, or strength for slamming it down the 1/4, or both?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mopowers said:
Its funny you should post these Tom.  Thats actually tonight's project at my house.  Is boxing them in more for handling, or strength for slamming it down the 1/4, or both?
Post pics when you are done. Are you doing them the same?

Tom

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
b569rr said:
mopowers said:
Its funny you should post these Tom.  Thats actually tonight's project at my house.  Is boxing them in more for handling, or strength for slamming it down the 1/4, or both?
Post pics when you are done. Are you doing them the same?

Tom
I planned on doing them the exact same way. I won't put any sway bar mounts on it though. If they turn out okay I might post pics. But man Tom, you make it hard to be proud of any of my welds. I might just grind them down smooth so you'll never see how ugly they were. :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim_Lusk said:
Those look a whole lot nicer than when they left here, but I had to leave something for Tom to do (I removed the bushings to fit the box I had).
Jim: Thanks a bunch for removing the bushings. That is a pain in the ass. I was using an air chisel with somewhat success until you told me about welding onto the sleeve. doh Nothing a bead blaster can't handle for the rust. You gave me a hell of a deal and I say thankyou again. I have a 5000 psi electric / hydraulic press for the new bushings.

I will start mocking up the front end pieces with the 1 1/8" front sway bar this weekend and give pics. If any you are near Tacoma and need something welded and your thirst is parched stop on by.

Tom

Mopowers: I heard you did some work on your K member. Do you have any pics? I boxed the LCA's for cornering stability and I had the itch to weld something today.

·
Registered
847 Posts
they look great, u da man! is that tig?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Alright Tom, no laughing!!  Now keep in mind I got my first welder about 5 months ago.  I'd never touched a welder before that.  I just boxed them in and welded the sides of the bump stop mount thingy.  I hung them up afterwords for easy painting.  I'm still trying to decide if I should do any boxing in on my K frame.  Its a little different on my early A than yours.  I'm just not sure if it would do anything for me but add weight.  what do you think Tom?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No mark I used the mig. I did buy a "new to me" Lincoln 250 for tigging my roll bar. I am out of shielding gas. doh Also if I was to tig the reinforcement of tne LCA's, the welds would look almost concave as not much filler metal would be needed. Also, how can I be the man if you're the man.

Mopars I promise I won't laugh but the pics aren't there. I'm going out to hang the suspension.

Tom

·
Registered
474 Posts
mopowers said:
Alright Tom, no laughing!!  Now keep in mind I got my first welder about 5 months ago.  I'd never touched a welder before that.  I just boxed them in and welded the sides of the bump stop mount thingy.  I hung them up afterwords for easy painting.  I'm still trying to decide if I should do any boxing in on my K frame.  Its a little different on my early A than yours.  I'm just not sure if it would do anything for me but add weight.  what do you think Tom?

They look good. The only thing I see, is the hole big enough to get a 3/4" socket in to it to adjust the torsion bars?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yeah, I realized that this morning. I "adjusted" the hole to allow for that this morning. They're all painted and ready to run now. As for the rest of the car...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those look good. Nice and beefy. Yes my holes will take the 3/4" socket with room for the bolts to pivot. I am not going to get to the front end assembly this weekend. I have decided to massage the shock tower sheet metal on the passenger side for more room.

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts