Big Block Dart Forums banner

Machine Shop woes

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  therocks 
#1 ·
Planned on building 470" stroker for the old Dodge. Found forged 440 crank, had machine work performed to make it 3.900 stroke and 400 main size. Took 400 block, machined crank, and new 6.535" rods to a well known mopar engine builder, I won't say the name, but lets say they are associated with the B1 cylinder head. They have had my parts and $3000 of my money for approx.20 months and still have not touched anything. Everytime I check in with them, they tell me " we are going to start on your build in 2 weeks". doh Should I pick up my parts and ask for my money back or is this a normal practice? Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in the Metro detroit area?, thanks

#2 ·
Normal, You think it's normal to pay someone and then it sits there for 20 months....

You could die later this evening from something....

And now they got your parts and money.

It is not normal for any business to do some nonsense like that.

. Send that up this way, worst case scenario would be a month, and thats sending the crank out to be cryoed and nitride

#7 · (Edited)
i wish i could say it is worth the wait. In their case it is not. i've had first hand experience with their crap work. (fixing it that is). and no, there is no way it should have ever taken anywhere near that long.

Send me a PM.

#8 ·
$3000, your parts and 20 months.

Go in there and DEMAND your shit back. And don't take no as an answer. Simple. Take some of your BIG buddies with you as "positive re-enforcement" if you have to. If they haven't touched it in 20 months, I'd be pretty leary of the workmanship that will go into it now if you rush them.

codfish

#10 ·
I thought my shop was slow.He is a one man shop and tells you if you want quick to leave.He took about 7 months on the kids 360 and about 8 months on my 440.We werent in a hurry and he is super picky.I agree go get your stuff and $$$ back.My guy I paid as I went.Nick at CompuFlo in Cleveland can do your work also.Rocky

#14 ·
7 to 8 months was worth the wait.When a guy is one man and Id say 90% or more of his business is repeat with happy customers its worth the wait.We werent in a hurry for the motors so it was no big deal.He built everything from blown to 20s and 30s classic engines.He even did all the machine work for the local HD shop.When I needed something quick he did it for me.Plus the price was right and the work was above excellent.Rocky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.